Uh oh! possibly eggbound - is it my fault?

• 7 Replies

spanishchicken

« on: October 08, 2008, 16:17 »
hi to you all, this is my first post. I have been trawling previous posts to get some advice but I am in the sticks in Spain and my internet connection is not very good so it is taking a long time.
i have 3 hens around 23 weeks old and am just waiting for the first egg which I think should be anytime soon.  About 5 or 6 days ago I went to let the girls out of their pen to free range and Popeye was in the nest box - unusual because they usually wait at the door to go out.  thinking that she may have laid an egg I was eager to have a look and flushed her out. There was no egg and she went out reluctantly with the other 2. the rest of the day she spent on her own - unusual again because they usually forage together and was lying down a lot. When it came time to get them back in she was reluctant to go in and it took 2 of us to herd her in - again usually just the sight of a sweetcorn can brings her running.
A neighbour had said that they had seen a fox around the night before so as a precaution I kept them in for the next couple of days.
It has been 2 days now since they have been allowed back out to roam but Popeye just wants to sit on her roosting perch.  she appears well . eg comb nice and red and erect, eyes bright, no sign of mites etc but just doesn't want to move. She won't eat unless i physically bring the food and water up to her level.  I suspect that she is eggbound - I have given her a warm bath and will isolate her this evening in a box with a hot water bottle. is there anything else I can do.  These are my first chickens and I am worried that I disturbed her while she may have been laying her first egg and now she is unable to pass it because of it.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
thanks, Haze

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 19:35 »
Hi Haze. Welcome to the forum.

To check if she's eggbound, you should be able to feel an egg in her abdomen. Very carefully, so as not to break anything. If there is an egg present, you may need to gently help it out.

Rob 8)

spanishchicken

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:56 »
Hi Rob
I did have a feel around yesterday while she was in her warm bath - there appeared to be a tightness on the abdomen but not what I would expect an egg to feel like. I am only suspecting she is eggbound as surely it couldn't go on this long - just about a week now?
she actually looks a little better this morning - I've isolated her and she appears to be wanting more food then yesterday.
I will keep a close eye on her though

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Re: Uh oh! possibly eggbound - is it my fault?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:25 »
I'm no expert, could it be that she is broody?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:30 »
some hens get out of sorts before laying their first egg so this could just be her problem, after her first all should be well  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:34 »
Can I point out the date of the original posting ?

I suspect she'll either be better or no longer with us by now  :)

Rob 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:42 »
Can I point out the date of the original posting ?

I suspect she'll either be better or no longer with us by now  :)

Rob 8)

Never noticed that - you must have eyes like a hawk   :tongue2:
It is a long time to be egg bound - if it was me I would be seriously worried by now  :lol: :lol: :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 09:47 »
Poor girl would be rather uncomfortable by now  :D

I hope she recovered ok. I only got the update notification because I'd posted on the original thread and it didn't sound familiar.  :)

Rob 8)

xx
Eggbound?

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 09:31
by Prod
xx
eggbound??????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 13:17
by kimT
xx
Eggbound?

Started by jennym on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:00
by Sassy
xx
Is she eggbound?

Started by yolkie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 09:01
by yolkie

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 37 queries.