araucana chick

• 17 Replies

cheshirecat

araucana chick
« on: August 01, 2009, 17:39 »
I am rearing a young araucana chick which I have had from a day old.  it is  now 8/9 weeks old and is coming on a treat.  Not sure yet whether it is he or she.  However, Solo is now in own pen amongst the older girls, where they can see each other but not come into physical contact.  Will the girls become unsettled by his presence?  Is that a daft question??

If Solo turns out to be a Mr. he is going back to the breeder and I plan to get 2 more girls.  Would like a Light Sussex and something completely different.  Any suggestions as to what would be a good friend for a LS?

Am fairly new to chicken keeping and have found the forum so helpful and informative.  Keep up the good work!
Max.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: araucana chick
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 17:53 »
When you introduce just one the chances are that they will be picked on by the other girlies - which is why it is best to introduce more than one at a time - they can share the bullying. Any chance of a photo so we can help you find out its sex?
Staffies are softer than you think.

cheshirecat

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 22:36 »
I am not sure how to post a photo.  Will have to ask one of the youngsters in the family to do it for me.  I did start out with two araucana chicks but one died and I was a bit nervous about getting another at the time in case that died too!  I'm pretty sure Solo is a cockerel, but will try and post a photo tomoz and perhaps you folks out there will be able to tell.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 22:51 »
I'm pretty sure that by the time my 4 araucanas were 8/9 weeks old you could see the little combs on the boys, but no sign of anything at all on the girls

These are the boys at around that age
araucana1.jpg
araucana2.jpg

archiesgems

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 23:02 »
It all depends on the colour of the Araucana, Lavenders can take a long time to show a comb  and just as you think that you have a hen you will wake up in the morning to find that its a cock, blacks will show a comb early whilst whites will always show a redder comb (its not its just that its on a white bird) the only shure fire method is to card the feathers, a cocks feathers will be very pointed the hens are always round. you can do this from around 6 weeks old

cheshirecat

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 23:08 »
Thank you for photos.  My chick has decent comb with about 5 spikes.  I took it back to the breeder, who lives quite near to me.  He said he was only 60% sure that Solo is a cockerel.  Said something about having Cream Legbar characteristics, which I didn't quite understand.  My chick does not have the 'powder puff' on top of its head, but has a crest which is starting to grow.  It is blue, wings close to body, lovely upright tail. Very lively and noisey and not afraid of the 'big girls'.  My friend  has 2 araucana girls about a month older than mine and they look quite different on top of the head. They have the 'powder puff'.

The breeder thought my chick was a good, strong looking bird, and he would gladly take him back, so I am happy it will have a home to go to, either way.

archiesgems

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 23:16 »
very confused about the legbar statement!!!

Not all araucana's have the head muffing, some will have a large almost beehive do! whilst others a wisp of muffing on the back of the head, this will really show after the first moult, if anything the legbar should show araucana traits not the other way around.

cheshirecat

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 23:16 »
Thank you so much for your advice regarding the feathers.  I will try and do this tomoz.  Will also try and post photo, even if its just for you to look at.  If Solo turns out to be a girl, I will get her a friend very soon.  I would really like to have a Light Sussex.  Will two chicks kept together get on or will there still  be bullying?  The idea then would eventually be to incorporate them into the older group.  Sorry bout all the questions!

ColonelSanders

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 20:08 »
Youngster from the Cheshirecat clan reporting for image posting duty  :D

archiesgems

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 20:14 »
hi ColonelSanders

I am soory but that isn't an araucana,

jay

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 20:17 »
Hello there!  :D
What a stunning bird, doesnt look like an aruacana though!  ??? but i would say it is definately a boy with a comb and wattles that size at 8/9 weeks! hens dont start getting their head gear till sort of 15-20 wks when they are coming into lay! although i have been known to be wrong! or at least that what hubby tells me!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheshirecat

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 21:26 »
evenin all!  jay, if this is'nt an araucana as i was told, what is it?  i am only 3 months into this chicken malarky and jus believe most of what I am told especially if its comin from an eggspert!  i'm hoping someone can tell me what it is.

jus checked on my calendar an 'it' is 8 wks and 3 days old.  jay, i had a go at looking at the wing feathers an i couldn't tell whether they were pointed or rounded!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 21:37 »
It could be an lavender araucana crossed with a cream legbar!!  ??? I think its the hackle feathers that are the 1st ones to show pointed or round! but im hoping Jay will put me right on that one!?  ???

Debbie

archiesgems

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 21:42 »
To be honest with you i can't tell what it is, but i can assure you that it isn't an araucana, yours has a single comb and wattles, and arau's should have a pea comb and no wattles, if it was then it would be a lavender barred by the colour which would be like the chappie in the picture,

yours is more likely a cross breed of some type and by the looks of it i would say its a him

Sorry to have to give you the bad news

Jay
IMG_0916.JPG

archiesgems

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 21:44 »
It could be an lavender araucana crossed with a cream legbar!!  ??? I think its the hackle feathers that are the 1st ones to show pointed or round! but im hoping Jay will put me right on that one!?  ???

Debbie

Yup Debbies right, it will be the neck and saddle hackles that will show pointed, also the saddle hackles will start to drop into the tail on a cock whereas on the hens they will grow into the tail

Jay

xx
worried - baby araucana chick got a red head ???

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 07:24
by darcyhen
xx
Araucana X Welsummer, what would it look like? CHICK PICS ADDED.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 23:18
by jhub
question
Araucana

Started by brahma on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 14:23
by Paddywack
xx
araucana banties

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 22:20
by lucylou

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 38 queries.