Are your spuds in yet?

• 52 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Are your spuds in yet?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2020, 08:42 »
Planted them yesterday (spaced exactly as planned at the start of the row, bit closer together towards the end - might have got my sums wrong!  :unsure:  :lol:)
That's how all my rows turn out  :lol: :lol:

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2020, 10:35 »
Wasn't going to put any in this year but with lockdown looming and the idiots clearing out the supermarkets I managed to get Charlotte's which I planted into pots in the poly tunnel about 3 weeks ago.  When I was out on Thursday for essentials I picked up some Desiree which I hope to get in today, again in pots. I've given up putting them in the ground too many slugs here!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2020, 18:04 »
Our's are in today!

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2020, 22:15 »
I wasn't going to put spuds in this year because although they've always done well, they take up a lot of precious space - plus I'm in Ireland. We have spuds in Ireland! However in view of the current situation I've decided to pop 2 or 3 supermarket spuds that are chitting into one of my beds. I'll probably put them in at the weekend.

It is always inadvisable to plant supermarket potatoes.  There are strict plant hygiene rules about certified virus-free seed tubers, and supermarket potatoes that are sold for eating are not certified virus-free.

If you are planting at home and are not near an allotment site then the risk is limited as it's only to your own crops.  But if you plan to plant them at an allotment site then you are jeopardising the health of everyone else's crops.

Don't worry, my veggie beds are in my own garden. I don't normally use supermarket spuds, but not only am I self-isolating and therefore not able to go out to source tubers, but I also only wanted to plant a few, so wouldn't want to buy a bagful. :)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2020, 19:58 »
Managed to get three rows of Charlottes in today.
So pleased have wanted to get a few in for early salad/new potatoes.
at least a month later than usual.
weather was to wet earlier.
then no time!
wish I had more tubers to plant. may have to look in wilk when in work tues. necessity???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 20:34 »
Only room for one zigzagged double row of potatoes

Never thought of planting them like that before … hmmm, not a bad idea for narrow-ish beds  :wub:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JoshP

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 15:05 »
Got mine in at various stages, some planted back in February and under polythene and some only planted last week so should have a nice prolonged harvest. Earliest are Rocket, followed by Arran Pilot and Pentland Javelin. Bit labour intensive if there’s frost forecast but more than worth it for extra early new potatoes!
3337B15E-0E76-4174-8CB5-CDCDA57224ED.jpeg
5675041B-0BC7-41E4-93EC-19F8E9C4E3AB.jpeg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 15:30 »
Only room for one zigzagged double row of potatoes

Never thought of planting them like that before … hmmm, not a bad idea for narrow-ish beds  :wub:

Obviously I don't get as many spuds in a zigzag row as I would in 2 single rows of the same length, but I save a worthwhile strip of soil which would otherwise be needed for earthing up each row separately.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
My spuds have gone mad!!

Started by lottielearner on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 21:12
by sunshineband
xx
Spuds

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 22:06
by Humbledoor

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 42 queries.