Peat Pots

• 9 Replies

Hodgey

Peat Pots
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:19 »
I'm using these to raise some seedlings on my windowsil and they keep developing a mould on them. Any advice on how to combat this (temp, humidity, watering etc) or should i just use the cheap plastic pots that my gut instinct told me to do in the first place?
"If you see someone drop litter, kill them" B. Bryson.

brucesgirl

Peat Pots
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:33 »
Hi Hodgey - I have used these for years now and had no problems.
Maybe you are overwatering? I always put a bit of warm water in the tray they are standing in, give them a chance to soak it up and then drain the rest away.
Mind you, I know some people love peat pots and some hate them!!!

:D

paintedlady

Peat Pots
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 15:06 »
I'm the biggest fan of peat pots but it depends on where you get them.  I have found the B&Q value peat pots alright (£2.98p for 96 I think) but last year I was very disappointed with Wilkos.  They changed the ones they used to sell for the pasty grey things they are still selling which go revoltingly slimey and fall to bits.  I wouldn't recommend them.

The quality of your compost is also important - again, I found possibly Wilkos cheap bags of multipurpose were unsuitable for sowing as they went mouldy (smelled musty too) but okay in every other aspect.  Sometimes worth that little bit extra to buy proper compost instead of the value stuff when starting off seeds :wink:

PS Just re-read your initial post - you have the seedlings on the windowsill.  Is it possible this could be a cold spot, especially if it isn't double glazed (cold air drops, plant pots lovely & humid - ideal growing conditions for mould)?  Do you take the seedlings off the windowsill at night, or do you close the curtains with them still on the windowsill (same reason about the cold spot)?  Might be worth investigating that.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

Peat Pots
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 15:59 »
I have the opposite problem - I can't keep the darned things moist enough, they keep drying out so quickly and sucking the seedling dry. I no longer use them, just plastic pots or grow trays. Rootrainers for toms. If I start non-transplantable items like melons and cukes, I just use the little Jiffy peat cubes that you have to soak in water first to swell up. they work far better than the actual peat pots which are actually pricey.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Peat Pots
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 21:47 »
Used 'em once about 20 years ago,     NeverAgain.  @rap.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

gobs

Peat Pots
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 22:11 »
I'm also one of the tried them once brigade. :roll:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Rob the rake

Peat Pots
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 22:14 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
  I just use the little Jiffy peat cubes that you have to soak in water first to swell up. they work far better than the actual peat pots    

Totally agree. I can't understand why they aren't used more widely, they're a cracking little invention.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Peat Pots
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 22:34 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"

Totally agree. I can't understand why they aren't used more widely, they're a cracking little invention.
      Probably because there seldom mentioned in gardening books, and a lot of people have never heard of them.

Hodgey

Peat Pots
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 12:21 »
Thanks for all the replies. I've now moved the little darlings to a new windowsil and am giving them a little less water and the mould has not come back.

I think the advice about the quality of the seed compost is something to take on board, I wouldn't give an Iceland £0.99 buy one get one free microwavable chicken korma (2% chicken) to a baby (even if Kerry whatsit said so) so why scrimp with my baby plants.

Ta!

Trillium

Peat Pots
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 15:25 »
Forgot to mention that I agree on spending on good quality potting mix. You get exactly what you pay for, especially in potting mix. Bought some cheaper stuff once and I got pots full of weeds. Never again. I buy only the brand name stuff in really big bags (best savings); these companies rely on their reputations.

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
peat pots

Started by jondav on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 13:13
by Kristen
xx
Peat pots

Started by wurzelrob70 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 17:19
by PAH48
xx
Peat pots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 05:21
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 35 queries.