peat pots

• 12 Replies

jondav

peat pots
« on: April 29, 2010, 20:19 »
Does anyone else find peat pots less than satisfactory. they seem to dry out too quickly,leaving the seedlings parched,i ve gone back to plastic

alibean

• Experienced Member
Re: peat pots
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 20:53 »
Please reconsider and try the coir pots  - think of those Irish bogs!     Alternatively you can make your own pots from old newspaper (there is a stickie on here somewhere), then simply pot them out with no root disturbance & they biodegrade v quickly

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 21:53 »
Yes jondav I have had exactly same thing have gone back to pots too.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 22:09 »
I got some cos they were cheap and what a disaster. Either bone dry or waterlogged and everything I sowed into them just seemed to give up the ghost. Don't really know why I bothered as I have tons of plastic pots, etc.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:48 »
I won't even plant out the peat pots as they take literally years to break down and by then the plant roots are circling inside the pot  >:(

Dominic

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:08 »
I've not had a problem with them myself.
I keep them standing in water through, so drying out isnt an issue.

I had assumed they broke down very quickly, but if they dont, can always give them a few slits with a carpet knife before planting them out this time
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 10:40 »
They're a pain and I've stopped using them, but when I did I either gently broke the side of the peat pot when planting to give the roots an easy escape route, or used scissors to cut one or more of the sides down if I thought the roots were a bit fragile.

Home-made paper pots are much easier for the roots to grow through but in both cases make sure the whole pot is buried otherwise the "wicking" effect will tend to dry the pot out and delay decomposition.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:43 »
I've given up on peat pots too. Removing them by scissors / tearing / etc. strikes me as disrupting the roots as much as if I had grown them in plastic pots and knocked them out for planting.

I'm also in the Newspaper Pot camp now. They are ready-to-rot by the time I plant out, and the top "collar" tends to be dry and stiff, and come away from the main, more moist, lower part of the pot, so I just pull that off when planting and push into the soil (being a lazy so-and-so!)
PlantingPaperPot1.jpg
PlantingPaperPot2.jpg

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 18:10 »
Do you mean peat pots because I haven't seen those around in ages most of the so called peat pots are made out of cardboard coloured to look like peat pots !!

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 18:15 »
Hahaha ... good point! So folk BUY paper pots instead of making Richy's Newspaper Pots eh?

Although Google seems to think that Peat Pots still exist (Link)

sclarke624

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 21:28 »
Mine went mouldy, another problem.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Christine

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 12:42 »
Marvellous isn't it? Here we are discussing whether to use peat pots from peat bogs or plastic pots which are the by product of the petro-chemical industry. Neither of which strike me as very environmentally friendly.

However, with the amount of plastic plant pots it is possible to get second hand .... well possibly the best option.

Saying that, peas straight from seed tray to ground like all the other gardeners on the site which only require trays. A lot of things go straight in the ground with me and it's only peas, beans and the cabbage/cauliflower/kale group of the brassica family that get the pots treatment. And they get reusable pots not peat pots of any sort.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 13:13 »
I don't know naught about it, but I though Peat cam from "sustainable" peat bogs - if so then I suppose not entirely bad, and my plastic pots last me for years and year s... so whilst not green, not "disposable" either.

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
peat pots

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2021, 11:39
by rowlandwells
xx
Peat pots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 05:21
by paintedlady
xx
peat pots

12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 19:35
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 31 queries.