Peas are the bane of my life

• 37 Replies

Trebor

• Experienced Member
Re: Peas are the bane of my life
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 12:29 »
Direct sowed under netting got about 8 from 40, the mice and frosts got the rest. Planted in a tray at home and got 40 out of 40. I think that mice/ watering regularly/ flying rats/ frost are the problems, not just germination. (Planted “Early Onwards”).

Humbledoor

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 20:20 »
All peas (Kelvedon Wonder) were securely netted when sown, yes really securely! Had the same problem when living in Cornwall (god's country lol) mice and whatever completely decimated my peas. Learnt from that and have had some later success with peas when netting them. I can only go on what other lottys have told me, there have been problems with KW this year. I have no axe to grind here, maybe I have been unlucky, KW have been my top 3 peas to sow, there just seems to be a lot more people having the same results.

Sorry for going on  :mad: Hail DD the pea god, man he knew when not to sow them peas  :lol:

Peace all

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 20:28 »
after reading this thread I decided to chit my new pkt of KW, all 400 of them, just to see what's what.

after 2 days I have about 2dozen ready to plant tomorrow! Some have been hooked out as they started going mouldy and some have stayed as wizened dried peas. so it doesn't look promising for the rest.
I just hope that the few that have started will continue, or I will be completely pea-less  :((apart from sugarsnaps)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 20:30 »

Hail DD the pea god, man he knew when not to sow them peas  :lol:

Hasta La Vista, Baby!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 20:33 »
Well my peas would have germinated but they got eaten
by little mice. baby things they are. every single one of them gone. i just odnt understand. i want to humainly trap them but the humain trap doesnt work.
the cloche doesnt keep them out eather so ill just have to wait intil i trap em 

Cazzy

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 22:48 »
I bought another pack of KW today from B&Q i'll germinate them tonight at home and plant them tomorrow.  Thinking maybe I should have got a different type.

We'll see
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 09:49 »
The only time I got decent germination from peas was when I sowed them all on damp kitchen towel and then potted them up into pots until they had a couple of pairs of leaves.  When I planted them out, they grew to about 18", produced a pathetic crop and promptly mildewed!  All that hassle, and I think we ended up with about two portions of peas from them - that was either KW or Hurst Green Shaft.  Maybe they just don't grow well on clay?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 10:56 »
I planted the KW that I chitted, there was about 75% germination, so I must assume that the 'no show' of the first sowing was either due to weather, birds or mice :unsure:

I've watered them in well and fingers crossed that nothing gets to this lot  ;)
I may pop back and lay some netting over them in case the birds are the culprits :ohmy:

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Where There's Life..........

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 12:50
by iwantanallotment
xx
My New Life on an allotment

Started by tony thompson on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 15:00
by Aidy

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 35 queries.