Peas are the bane of my life

• 37 Replies

Elaine G

Re: Peas are the bane of my life
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 23:58 »
My 'normal' peas are fine, but I have sown 6ft rows of alderman peas twice now and only have 8 plants!
Wish I had never bothered to put up the canes and netting :tongue2:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 06:33 »
Despite being in the presence of pea greatness on this site (DD) I have given up growing normal podded peas but strangely enough have had success with mangetout in the past and this year the sugarsnaps are going great guns so far!  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Christine

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 06:58 »
I never plant peas direct into soil any more due to creatures eating them. I've followed the trend up here to start them off in seed trays and then plant out. Mine have been slow when planted out this year - they survived the late frost and are just beginning to pick up. Have Oasis (not again I think) and Jaguar left from last year. It won't be as good a crop as last year - Twinkle was great.

Will be using Kings Seeds next year as a change from T&M just to compare.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 07:09 »
This year's circumastances are different, but my usual method is:

Make your 6" wide drill.

Throw the peas in quite thickly to allow for losses.

Net and peg down well with fine netting. (Debris). This keeps the birds & mice out.

Once germinated, start staking and keep netted against birds. This netting need not be so fine.

If you can, source loose peas. These cost a fraction of those in packets of a paltry 300 and you can afford to sow thicker to allow for losses.

Transplanting is not an option at DD. towers.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37 »
I sowed Waverex direct mid-March in a deeper trench than normal (anti-mice/bad weather?) - I put in lots of extras expecting to lose lots, but they seem to have come up really thickly and are now putting on their first flowers.

I did a second sowing mid-April and this sowing didn't seem to come up as well - quite patchy.  I don't think I planted them quite as deep.

My mangetout are doing well, sowed later than the second Waverex, and making much better progress.

I've no idea whether it was the timing or the depth of sowing or just luck that caused the difference for my sowings.

A few weeks back I sowed some Early Onward given by a neighbour.  They were slow to come through but look like they have come through reasonably evenly.  We'll see how they do.

I have only ever grown mangetout before (always successfully) so I don't konw what I'm doing with peas.  I thought they'd be easy but it looks not  :blink:

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

iggyboy

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 08:17 »
I swear by Hurst Greenshaft! I plant a single pea per peatpot and out of 50 I got 48 plants!! Cant be complaining about that.  :lol:
...the night was dark...they usually are!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31 »
Out of interest, DD what's you favourite heritage pea?
I am going to be more imaginative with varieties next year!!

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07 »
Hmm... kelvedon wonder problems here too - one lot from more veg - sewed 100, got 2 plants - another lot from T&M - sewed another 100 and got 3.... can't do without peas so had to resort to buying a few plants from the garden centre - time for a change of type, methinks (well, next year, anyway!)
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 10:04 »

My "stock" one is one called "Stokesley". Not commerically available. I've now now 1,000's, but you can only get them from the Heritage Seed Library about 6 at a time!

I do have two more "Parsley" and "Champion of England" (a climber), also 6 more varieties obtained from the HSL this year, which I have yet to cultivate.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:05 by DD. »

diggerjoe

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 10:10 »
Picked first batch golden mangetout at weekend but they were very slow and very poor looking plants at first.  Only direct sown one batch this year ambasador they are now about foot high. The 'telephone' variety that was supposed to grow tall ( at least 5ft) has decided to flower at 3ft  but after a weak start are looking ok. I 've tried purple podded peas this year but they have only just been plated out as they took ages to germinate and  the parsley pea only 4 out out of 20 have germinated. One more lot to go in direct Yuthanza or something like that cant remember what type they are. Will have to check packet.  

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 10:30 »

My "stock" one is one called "Stokesley". Not commerically available. I've now now 1,000's, but you can only get them from the Heritage Seed Library about 6 at a time!
Wow, you have put a huge effort in to accumulate those, I'm impressed!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 11:02 »
It's not actually that bad, if you do the math. The hardest thing is to resist eating any for a couple of years!

I took on "Stokesley" as a Seed Guardian and carefull logged everything for the HSL, so I know they returned 60 fold, whereas other were only about 40.

Assuming perfect germination:

Year 0 = 6 seed
Year 1 = 360 seed
Year 2 = 21,600 seed

I know we're not going to get perfect germination, some will errr... "disappear", some will get passed on, but it's easy to see how quickly you can build up your own seed stock.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 23:04 »
I sowed two varieties direct, Meteor and Hurst Green Shaft from T&M when there was a warm spell in April, laid them out two inches apart in a six inch row and pushed them down to the second forefinger digit, watered and left them to it. The Meteor is flowering and the first pods are swelling nicely in all this rain; the HGS is well up at about two foot and looking good. Looking at them tonight I made a mental note not to bother with the guttering method next year!
 :D   
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Cazzy

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 23:55 »
Count me in.

Direct sowed a full pack of T&M Kelvedon Wonder and only got 6.

I'm gonna have to go buy some more from B&Q, the supermarket seed sections don't have any peas except tesco's kid's range, nearly £2 I think it was for about 10 peas, they should have the decency to wear masks when they take your money for them.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 02:08 »
Sorry to buck the trend!!!! Planted 100'ish sugarsnap under glass and only got 6 to shoot.

Direct sowed old/stale (2008 use by date)kw and well over half took and now in flower and looking good.

All the hassle/learning is definately part off the joy off growing your own :) :)

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Where There's Life..........

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 12:50
by iwantanallotment
xx
its a wonderfull life

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 27, 2009, 10:01
by Steve.B

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 37 queries.