What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Dan78

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 19:32 »
I had quite a productive afternoon today.. had the day off work!

Managed to dig up 3 beds for onions.. 1 large for white and 2 a bit smaller for red and spring..

Dug a bed and planted 2 different types of garlic.. Dont have great hopes as loads were mouldy when i checked them.. Was the 2nd lot of mouldy garlic i bought.. Should have checked them over better!

Also sowed a few herbs and started filling up the compost heap! I had planned more but the digging is hard work!

Babstreefern

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 19:32 »
Nothing at all yet.  I did all my jobs back in November.  Believe me when you start planting and then weeding, you won't have enough time in the day.  But I have started my planting in trays.  My conservatory is filling up nicely, and I have to keep the door shut as my Mainecoon cat, Merlin, loves lying on my nicely filled trays - I'm sure he think's he's a bird and has to hatch them. :D

I put all my reminders of when to start sowing my seeds in my calendar on the computer with a reminder; so every Friday, at 7:00pm, I get the reminders popping up.  So I don't forget. :D
Babs

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 19:35 »
I froze on my allotment today - had a beautiful day yesterday really was heavenly today digging wasnt much fun but productive.

Roll on pottering - weeding and harvesting LOL!

andy135

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 19:36 »
I actually gave in to the temptation today and went for a walk up to the plot with a spade over my shoulder. I dug one of the plots over, but it was wet and sticky. I had a job getting the soil to part company with the spade. Still, at least it should dry out a bit quicker now.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 19:54 »
Measured up for a BIG shed  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 20:16 »
Measured up for a BIG shed  :D

Show off  :tongue2:  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 21:30 »
I know! And it'll have a woodburner and everyfink!  :D

Cazzy

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 00:32 »
Was the 2nd lot of mouldy garlic i bought.. Should have checked them over better!

Where did you buy your garlic from Dan?
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Mahogony

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11 »
I know! And it'll have a woodburner and everyfink!  :D

oh, the luxury!
Grow, dammit, grow.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 10:16 »
Was the 2nd lot of mouldy garlic i bought.. Should have checked them over better!

I ordered some elephant garlic from marshalls and all was mouldy when it arrived.. I then had this re-ordered and all except 3 cloves were mouldy again!

I then went into my local homebase and picked some up there.. 2 of the 3 bulbs turned out also mouldy :( Im thinking it may be a sign not to grow it haha!

davethespread

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 14:26 »
i probably should not have so soon after the stents,but i was in the garden today not the allotment.working away with a little tear in my eye :(.
my wood burning oven has had to be taken down :(,over the winter i have had a water leak around the chimney which soaked down into the oven body which is cast refractory concrete.when we had the snow and it froze it obviosly expanded and blew the oven body,so i have had no choice but to take it down >:(
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 15:05 »
Poor you Dave  :(

You take it easy though!

Snoop

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 15:12 »
i probably should not have so soon after the stents,but i was in the garden today not the allotment.working away with a little tear in my eye :(.
my wood burning oven has had to be taken down :(,over the winter i have had a water leak around the chimney which soaked down into the oven body which is cast refractory concrete.when we had the snow and it froze it obviosly expanded and blew the oven body,so i have had no choice but to take it down >:(

Crumbs, that is terribly bad luck. Take it easy after the stents - you don't want those blowing too.

As for me, I keep wandering around the plot, looking at my peas and broad beans but doing/accomplishing nothing.  I'm supposed to be hard at work at my computer, so while I can justify a little stroll out for a breath of fresh air, no way could I argue that it's reasonable for me to get the seed trays out and set to. Hey ho. I reckon I should be rifling through my seed box on Wednesday next week...

Cazzy

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 15:32 »

I ordered some elephant garlic from marshalls and all was mouldy when it arrived.. I then had this re-ordered and all except 3 cloves were mouldy again!

I then went into my local homebase and picked some up there.. 2 of the 3 bulbs turned out also mouldy :( Im thinking it may be a sign not to grow it haha!

I checked the rest of the garlic in aldi's today and every net was the same.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 16:07 »
Well....

Not at the lotty but at home with a day off. should be doing an assignment but thought "Nope Im going to get some peas and stuff going"

Wanders over to the garage in happy contemplation, thinking what compost I've got left, only to find my idiot OH has taken the keys to work.  Now I'm itching to plant something and cant get to my seeds, pots or compost

GRRRRRRR!!!!

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 32 queries.