What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Mahogony

Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 16:24 »
So sorry to hear that Dave. That's a pain. Hope you get to replace it. Not sure what stents are but as the others have said take it easy. Hope you are back to full power soon.

I had a great day. Beautiful weather here again today in Dublin.
My little sidekick (8 months old) had great naps today so I got loads done.
I riffled through my seed box - enjoyed the planning.
I sowed my broad beans in toilet roll tubes (may regret it but will give it a go and keep the camomile tea close at had to ward off the mould)
I sowed my leeks in a cat litter tray.
I built my unheated greenhouse (the fexible plastic ones that are advertised at the top of these pages)
I planted chilli seeds from slightly dried out supermarket bought chillies. More of an experiment than anything. If I get one plant I will be thrilled.

The broad beans and leeks are in the unheated green house and the chillies are in a propogater on my south facing kitchen window sill.

@Peapod - I see you are about to start your peas. I was thinking of planting mine in a length of gutter to start them off. As the pea Goddess I figure you have grown a few peas before  ;), what do you do? thanks
Grow, dammit, grow.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 16:29 »
I haven't done it mainly because I haven't got any guttering as yet, but would certainly recommend it.

I plant hundreds of peas every season,  but the mice get a lot of those, so am very tempted to buy some guttering this year. It'll last me a few years after all...

Of course it depends how many you plant, and your time and space

I'd go for it
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Mahogony

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 17:09 »

I'd go for it

Great, thanks, I have some old square shape guttering so I will give it a go.

davethespread

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 17:35 »
So sorry to hear that Dave. That's a pain. Hope you get to replace it. Not sure what stents are but as the others have said take it easy. Hope you are back to full power soon.

I had a great day. Beautiful weather here again today in Dublin.
My little sidekick (8 months old) had great naps today so I got loads done.
I riffled through my seed box - enjoyed the planning.
I sowed my broad beans in toilet roll tubes (may regret it but will give it a go and keep the camomile tea close at had to ward off the mould)
I sowed my leeks in a cat litter tray.
I built my unheated greenhouse (the fexible plastic ones that are advertised at the top of these pages)
I planted chilli seeds from slightly dried out supermarket bought chillies. More of an experiment than anything. If I get one plant I will be thrilled.

The broad beans and leeks are in the unheated green house and the chillies are in a propogater on my south facing kitchen window sill.

@Peapod - I see you are about to start your peas. I was thinking of planting mine in a length of gutter to start them off. As the pea Goddess I figure you have grown a few peas before  ;), what do you do? thanks
hi mahogony stents are stainless mesh tubes they insert into the arteries around the heart to help increase blood flow in blocked arteries.i dont think i will be replacing the oven for a while i might see if i can save up for one when i get back to work.im going to turn the base into a firepit and have a spit made up so i can use it as a barbie,fingers crossed.
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

goodegg

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 19:02 »
peapod if the  mice are eating your peas soak them in parrafin for half hour  to an hour then   drain them and  plant the mice wont touch them then and it doesnt harm the peas in any way thats what i used to do and no problems  now i make grow tubes out of  news paper just get three layers of paper roll round spray can couple of staples ,or use sellotape and thats it cut to length you want i do them about 4 ins long thats what i grow my beans in as well.

Trikidiki

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 19:18 »
Tried the paraffin trick with my broad beans. The mice still took them. They've had the best part of two packets. So I went to the local hardware shop and bought to of the most inhumane traps I could find.

I've caught five so far and the traps and beans have beenn untouched for a week.

Hated doing it but needs must.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 19:32 »
Thanks Goodegg, its nice of you to offer a helping hand

Trouble is, apart from my heritage peas, I just don't have time to sow hundreds of peas in paper pots/tubes. Id be there for weeks! That's why I'm edging towards the guttering. Easy for me to take to the plot too once they are off to a good start at home.

I've heard of the paraffin trick, and must say haven't used it myself, as have heard differing opinions.

I don't agree with traps, not so much because I'm an animal lover (though I don't like the idea of inhumane myself) but because I'm squeamish with mice and rats...its the tails (shudder)

Mahogony

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 20:45 »
Planted my toms and sweet peppers today. Have them all in unheated propogaters on a south facing window sill.  Is this right?

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 21:21 »
I know I have gone back in time but Tuesday I painted my compost bin(made of palletts), painted my raised beds.  Wednesday sowed toms. chilli, summer cabbage, sweet peas, cauliflower, some of my peas.  Today hoed  the whole of my allotment, put up a bird box on shed, dug the bed where my tattys are going.  Came home had a nice hot bath cooked dinner phewwww about absolutely knackered.  Oh ye in between walked lurchers twice a day, fed pigeons now time for bed.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2010, 21:34 »
Maybe you would like to put a clear polythene bag over the top to aid heat Mahogany (only if you need to warm them up though, they need about 15-20 degree c)

As SOON as they show their heads, take it off!

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2010, 10:05 »
Off down the plot know, ill let you know what I did when I get back.
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

kingston boy

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2010, 18:11 »
Cut down and removed sprouts and dug over area , then fertilized for onions.
Uncovered what will be potato patch and used some organic fertilizer at spec rate,raked it in then recovered it all. Checked out some winter lettuce in polytunnel. Done my dreaming bit as i walked around my 'estate' and froze my bits off then went home for tea. No doubt i wont see much TV tonight. Also watered new fruit trees.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2010, 18:20 »
I just don't have time to sow hundreds of peas in paper pots/tubes.

Only 100's?

Bl**dy amateurs! :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lesley1322

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 18:21 »
I started to build a picket fence from pallet wood and i built two raised beds on my new allotment :)
Double dug over my two raised beds and layed down some fleece to get the ground warming up nicely... now i have to decide what im planting where haha... time to draw a plan i think...
:)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 18:27 »
Im working on it Dave  ;)

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Snow at the allotment today .....

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 05:53
by min200
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.