What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 18:32 »
It would be useful if contributers to this thread could please put their location in their profile.

Someone in the Channel Isles is not going to be doing the same as someone in the Shetlands.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tassie

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2010, 18:52 »
Turned compost heap, planted calabrese,  broccoli cummer purple, Paris silverskin onions, limed brassica bed, turned over potato bed ready for first earlies in the next week or so.

oooh and dug a bean trench.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 18:56 by tassie »

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 20:01 »
Peapod,

Regarding mice at your peas, my gutter of peas got chewed early last year and i re-sowed and coverd the gutter with prunings of a holly bush.  Werked for me! As they say.

Probabaly read the tip on here sometime!
Liv.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 20:04 »
Cheers Livvy  :D

I can get the guttering sorted out at home (where there's no mice) and transplant to the plot when ready.  I am going to get some holly branches for my raised bed...for cats though, not the mice!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 21:06 »
In my garden today I planted out my strawberry bed and a strawberry pot, mended my greenhouse, and sowed some herbs indoors (some for the kitchen window sill and some to move outdoors at a later date).

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 21:44 »
Went down to the plot today and planted 2 apple trees :) 1 was a braeburn called Helena and the other was a James Grieve on a MM106 rootstock which will probably require a bit of pruning over the years so it doesnt get huge!

Treated them with some well rotted manure dug in and then used the rest on the newly dug beds for the onions.. not sure when i can put them in yet though!

Got home and planted 50 leeks in an old washing up bowl with a few holes drilled out! Going back tomorrow to see if i can get some more beds dug out of the grass!

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2010, 23:12 »
Some of us have been clearing a junk filled shed on the instructions of the widow of a guy who sadly died.
A skip for the metal and a big bonfire for the bits of wood. For any goodies it was a case of first come first served.
I found some useful blocks and bricks and duly filled my barrow! Now its gentle seed tray work in the tunnel cos I've done my back! >:(

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2010, 00:25 »
Did the initial clearing of a bit more of the allotment. I've done about half now. After the next shift a patch will be ready for the spuds.
On another positive note I found two rhubarb crowns and heeled in raspberry, blueberry and gooseberry. Not to sure how they will fare though.
Oh, and I noticed the garlic is just about sticking its nose up.
Joolz

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2010, 00:51 »
Nothing unfortunatley, I have flu  :( I did however pot some seeds up today at home with the help of my little helper.  :)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

lacewing

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2010, 07:39 »
Planted the last of the shallots, the row I planted in november are growing away nicely. Peas sown in guttering in November are now planted out, with chicken wire and fleece over at night.
Prepared the ground for onion sowing, (our soil here in Kent is very light) Sowed  some early carrots under fleece.
Weeded around broad beans that were sown in the November, lost a few to frost but the remainder are looking nice and healthy.
Sorted out the netting around the winter cauliflowers, which had collapsed under the snow.
Sorted out the herb bed, cut back all herbs and cut out any dead wood. I was glad to find that the standard bay had survived the winter.
Hubby has been busy reparing the damage in the fruit cage, had to replace two posts and sort out the netting which had sagged under the weight of the snow.
All in all, a good week with a few jobs done!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2010, 08:11 »
OMG you have all been busy!! I dont have anything in the ground yet. Broad beans in the greenhouse, with early potatoes chitting. A few herbs on the kitchen windowsill, onions that I put in end of last season and thats it. I'm panicking now thinking I've left it too late! It is still rather cold, woke up to another frost here this morning.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2010, 08:13 »
Too late??

Beginning of March???

Oh please!!!!! :tongue2:

plum crumble

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2010, 08:21 »
too late? don't be daft! and this has been a prolonged cold winter as well!!! ::)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

boosh

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2010, 08:29 »
Well yesterday.

put the pea surports up,cleaned up round the garlic and onions. got the poly greenhouse sorted,coverd the seed beds with plastic, got done more than i thought,  :) :mellow:

Today(sunday) sort out collapsed compost heap :unsure:

plus drive down garden centre, The future wife wants to try freesia seeds 8)

plum crumble

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2010, 09:01 »
well, about to pop out on this gorgeous sunny morning - tho it is still below freezing - to lay the paths out on the lottie, and place well-anchored cloches out. My fruit trees should be delivered this week, so might dig in preparation for them. Last night, put 200 onion sets, 40 garlics and 40 shallots into modules in the green house to get the roots going. Have got my best crops using this method. Right, where's me 'at, it's cold out there! :D

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 37 queries.