How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Stree

How are everyones Toms doing?
« on: June 14, 2013, 19:33 »
Mine seemed to have doubled in size overnight! The ones in the greenhouse anyway. Not taken any sideshoots off yet, just first 3 or 4 sets of lower leaves to final pot them a bit/lot deeper.
They are all doing differently though, Black Truffle Sweetie and currant sweet pea along with white cherry and reisentraube are looking really healthy and if they could, I am sure they would be singing.
Looking a bit dazed and yellowish are the Marglobe and Brandywine yellow. Might be a clue in the name with the Brandywine, but the Marglobe? Perhaps its one of those that need a lot of sun, well more than we have been getting here anyway. Also got some Tiny Tims, sown very end of May but doing great! 11 out of 12 seeds germinated and from an inch to 3 inch high so far. So almost a quarter grown !
Not lost any yet, damping off, blight, leaf miner.so fingers crossed.
The White Cherry I am trying the controversial Monty way, ( meagre compost, terracotta pot and feed every day) is doing just as well as its neighbours in Levingtons giant tomato planters, so might have a good result.
Hope we get a ration of sunshine for them this year.
Oh, and Gardeners delight as well, nearly forgot.

Kirpi

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 19:37 »
Flowers only at the moment; looking forward to some fruits.

Gardener's Delight
Tumbling Tom

seaside

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 19:48 »
In greenhouse tumbling toms and  gardeners delight are flowering and looking healthy. Have a few moneymakers :ohmy: as back ups ( I know how to deal with them if botrytis hits ) .... in both the border and pots. Thinking of draping some fleece somewhere to stop the drips onto the plants every night.

Gardeners delight and Roma plum outside and are just starting to flower. the plant out has slowed them down though. Am expecting these plants to get blighted by the end of July, but I might get something beforehand.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 20:02 »
Mine are about 2-3ft now full of flowers and my super sweet 100 have 7 baby toms growing, I have money maker, gardeners delight, Roma, super sweet 100 and a tumbling Tom which is a sea of flowers all are in the greenhouse

Stree

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 20:16 »
Hmmm Gardeners delight and Tumbling Tom seem  popular. Tumbling T is for baskets as well is it not?
The ones I am growing I have never tried before, buts only my 3rd year growing toms anyway.
I chose most of mine from a variety of those chosen by top chefs as their favourite for various reasons, taste, texture etc. Others just because I fancied them like the micro toms and the white cherry. The Tiny Tims will be going on the kitchen windowsill, they do Ok in a lot less light than Toms usually require and will provide you with cherry toms at Christmas.....
I see Seaside and Vanessa are growing Moneymaker. I was put off these by lots of reports of mediocre taste, but never tried to grow any or even tasted one that I know of.
Just flowers on mine too, the tallest few are 40 to 48 inches high now and getting tied in as they go up the canes.........It can be tricky using canes in a growbag, but I made up a roof frame that locks the canes in nicely so no problems.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 21:28 »
To be honest I only grew gardeners delight and Roma from seed (they were what I wanted) but my mum went a bit mad and bought me lots from a car boot so I now have 9 tomato plants when I only planned to have 4  :nowink: the tumbling toms can go in a basket but mine are in a big tub on the edge of my staging in the green house

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 22:30 »
Plenty of green fruit on the greenhouse toms but flowers only on the outside ones.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 22:56 »
Beefsteak Legend is developing some green toms quite well, Alicante as well but not as well as the beefsteaks. Tumbling toms are doing very well considering they were left in one of their transition pots for too long due to the weather, unless my eyes deceive me some of them may even be starting to ripen. Hundreds and thousands are loaded with tiny tomatoes, looking forward to them :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 23:31 »
No fruits  on mine yet, but quite a few flowers coming.

Loads of flowers on my biggest garten perle. The other 3 are in baskets, but this one is in a big pot on the greenhouse staging and its doing really well.

I planted my 2nd sowing of tomatoes last weekend, but one died and 3 weren't looking too well.  However 2 of them have picked up and fingers crossed the other one will be okay.

I'm not growing so many this year, only about half what I normally grow.  Less varieties too. 

Brian likes moneymaker Stree, so I have about 11 of them in the tunnel.  Maybe not THE tastiest tomato going, but still tasier than any supermarket tomato!   ;) ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:10 by GrannieAnnie »

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 23:32 »
Got roma, sweet baby, san maz 2 and they are all ot tall and just setting flowers.
Kind Regards
Bill

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 23:53 »
I've got a Black Sea Man tomato about 2 1/2 ins across but still very green - I'm not sure how big they get before they start to ripen  :blink: There are a few babies on the Green Zebra as well - the others in the borders just have loads of flowers  :)
The early Gartenperle plants had baby toms on when I gave them to my daughter, last week, and so do my Kibitz in pots on the staging :)

I've got 2 Tondino Italian tomato plants and they're really not impressed with the weather, even in the greenhouse, I think it's because we've had a few nights when it's gone down to 6C in there :(

Stree

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 23:54 »
Thanks Grannie Annie, nice to have a balance in opinions. Might even try some next year.
See how I get on this year, high hopes, never had what you might call a decent crop yet, but lack of sunshine in previous years has  not helped.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 02:31 »
I'm very envious as I'm running way behind since 'the great tomato disaster' (my Mum dropped them  :nowink:).  Still, we managed to save 6/20 and the second batch (sown 'just in case') are coming along in the greenhouse (about 2ft now).  The, er, third batch (for super-emergencies) are a bit small but I'm sure they'll get there eventually... ::) :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 02:54 »
My Toms are sitting very happily, looking very sturdy and healthy but no flowers yet :(:nowink: It'll be fine.  My friend who is coming in, during July/August whilst we on hols, to look after various pets and plants will be able to have ripe pickings  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 07:05 »
I've got a Black Sea Man tomato about 2 1/2 ins across but still very green - I'm not sure how big they get before they start to ripen  :blink:

They get massive and when they are ripening, they start going a dark blackish purple on the top and redder underneath.  Mine were slow to get going this year, so not even a flower yet, but I have flowers on the Chocolate Cherokee and Wladecks you gave me  :)

I also have German Orange Strawberry and Brooks Special in the greenhouse, then Latah and Maskotka outside  :)

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
toms

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:15
by 2peasinapod
xx
my toms

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 13:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 34 queries.