Best variety of PSB

• 10 Replies

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
Best variety of PSB
« on: April 01, 2017, 17:26 »
I would appreciate your preferences for PSB. I don't mind if it's an early or late one. I'd also be interested to know what you think of the new variety that matures in the same year ie planted early spring and cropped late summer (not sure of it's name).

I grew early PSB this year, or i should say last year and it's only just cropping now. I'm keen to improve the use of the real estate.

Thanks in advance
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
Re: Best variety of PSB
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 19:39 »
Yes, mum, that's the purple one i saw. I like the idea of it cropping the same year as planted.

I've also seen varieties called Rudolph, Red Arrow (or Spear?) of the longer growing PSB. Are there any others that are considered above average for taste and productivity?

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 20:30 »
Like you, I fancied the idea , so 3 years ago I tried two same year sprouting broccolis, can't remember the exact varieties. Both failed miserably with very poor return and pest issues. Maybe Summer heat ? I didn't understand why. So, given that the end of Summer into Winter sees me with kale, brussels, cabbage and cauli, I guess I didn't really want to pursue the failure further.  :(
The standard over winter PSB are trouble free and perfect when little else is around. They take a bit of time but they never fail, look after themselves and render an early Summer bed available for green manure or beans/squash etc.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 20:38 by victoria park »

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 22:08 »
Good points.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:26 »
Claret and Red Fire also RHS AGMs.  I would like to know which are the shortest varieties so the hoops don't need to be so big when protecting them and there's less likelihood off them toppling..

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 09:02 »
Rudolph and Claret follow each other. Rudolph started cropping about 3 weeks ago and Claret is in full swing now.

Rudolph will crop from December if you plant it early enough but I never plant out until about mid July. That means the plants do not get too big over Winter and they crop now when there is little else in the way of greens.. Five plants of each is enough for the two of us with some to give away.

Mine are grown after peas and use the same cage to keep off the pigeons. They are followed by courgettes.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 10:23 »
Ok - this is not a recommendation for Spring PSB but one that crops throughout the summer. Brokali Atlantis - https://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/Vegetables/Brokali/Brokali-Atlantis-F1

I grew it for the first time last year and it was ridiculously prolific and carried on going right into late October. Really tasty, easy to grow and just soldiered on regardless of the weather. 3 plants were enough to keep the four of us going all summer and well into the autumn.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 12:21 »
WhiteRabbit, this looks interesting as a summer harvest, and i think i'll stick with PSB for early in the year for the benefits pointed out in an earlier post.

I grew Rapini this year and it's excellent to eat and trouble free to grow. Prolific, fresh, edible leaves. Just need to remember that it needs to be blanched first as it's what the Italian call a bitter green. Then a quick toss in olive oil with sliced garlic. I also use it with linguine in much the same way as you would spinach.

Always looking for new and interesting vegetables.

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 21:39 »
I'm trying something new! "San Marzano" turnip broccoli from Real Seed.
It's a smaller alternative (no staking)  Sow either Feb/March for Spring crop or July/August for harvest in 60-80 days. Can also be sown Sept/Oct to grow on in a polytunnel so obviously not hardy.
Taste is supposed to be slightly spicy.
I am also doing early and late psb in case it's no good and to cover Winter-Spring without resorting to a  polytunnel....!

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 21:52 »
By the way....perpetual spinach and Swiss chard both go through Winter and start bolting the following year.
Their sprouts are fantastic!

xx
Pea variety...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 14:33
by GreenOwl
xx
Variety with most peas per pod.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 18:01
by mumofstig
xx
What variety are these apples?

Started by David. on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 10:25
by David.
xx
Best Tomato Variety

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 14:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 34 queries.