Beetroot question

• 14 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Beetroot question
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:07 »
I planted my beetroot seeds  on 5.March and had them inside the house as my greenhouse is unheated. Most have started germinating and some are about 5cm tall. When shall I put them in my greenhouse (if at all) as I don't want them to get leggy in the warmth of the house.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Beetroot question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23 »
I have just set a tray off in the greenhouse, don't worry they are pretty hardy so I would get them in the green house.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 13:00 »
Thanks Aidy, Should I put the pots that have not germinated as yet in the greenhouse also?

Dont know if its a coincidence but just looking at the ones that have germinated and they are all in toilet rolls, the ones that are not showing any signs are in plastic pots.

Allotment Jon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 13:09 »
I have never grown beetroot but got some seeds at the weekend that say plant outside where they are to grow.

Should I be putting them in pots / toilet rolls first ?.

I could ask the same question about other seeds that I am growing for the first time as until I get more experienced I just follow what is on the packet until I learn otherwise.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 13:25 »
I have never grown beetroot but got some seeds at the weekend that say plant outside where they are to grow.

Should I be putting them in pots / toilet rolls first ?.

I could ask the same question about other seeds that I am growing for the first time as until I get more experienced I just follow what is on the packet until I learn otherwise.

i planted some last year my 1st attempt straight into the ground and they all grew :)
pickled the lot

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 13:55 »
In theory treat as other roots, straight into the ground. I have had over the years great success setting them off early and transplanting. My method is to pop the seed into trays, slightly push in with a pointy object and cover with the propogator lid, leave in the greenhouse until ready to into the ground. I will photo them tonight when I put the ladies to bed.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 15:32 »
I grow beetroot every year and have always put them straight in the ground. Once they are growing away strongly I put some more in. Never done them into pots, but have seen them for sale in the garden centre, didn't quite see the point, but maybe someone can tell us if there is any benefit to planting in pots, I would have thought they would catch up if planted in the ground???
On a slightly different note, I've tried different shapes and colours, but this year will stick to good old Bolthardy as the others are not worth the space.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 15:51 »
I always grow a row of beetroot under a cloche to get an early crop,it makes a big difference but i remove the cloche when it gets hot.
You are right tosca100 boltardy are a great beetroot,the only other one i grow is cylindra.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 16:40 »
I've tried it both ways and admit that my best crops came from direct seeding. The roots will transplant but they don't seem to like it as much as staying put. I can even grow golden beets that way, which Aidy can't  : :tongue2: lol:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 16:45 »
I've tried it both ways and admit that my best crops came from direct seeding. The roots will transplant but they don't seem to like it as much as staying put. I can even grow golden beets that way, which Aidy can't  : :tongue2: lol:
:tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: to you too. The only reason I set off in trays is to get a head start, most of my beets are direct sown once it warms up as the ground is still pretty cold at the mo. An indication I use is once weeds start to show then the ground is warm enough for direct sowing.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 16:58 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Knew that would get a rise out of you, Aidy. I've just bought a fresh pack of goldens for this year. Still have loads of bulls blood left.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 17:27 »
I grow in pots to start them off early, and so that I can juggle them in-between other things when they are ready to plant out.

I grow 3 to a 9cm pot - then pull two for thinnings, leaving the 3rd to grow to normal size.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 18:52 »
:lol: :lol: :lol: Knew that would get a rise out of you, Aidy. I've just bought a fresh pack of goldens for this year. Still have loads of bulls blood left.

mmmmm.
I did get a few to germinate but they didn't taste any better than the normal.
We are still munching through ours too, I tend to grow Alto cylindrical for salads and soups and Chioggia to roast, still got a bag in compost for eating from last year, storing really well.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 19:47 »
I grew the cylindrical ones last year but though they did very well, once they grew to a reasonable size the flavour was disappointing, the same with the ones with red and white rings. The golden ones were ok tasting but went an unappealing colour when cooked.....a sort of khaki brown. I'll be clearing my mini-plot and dusting off the cloches this w/e for carrots and beets.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 20:00 »
I think  Woodan beats Bolthardy lol

I also only sow direct )
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
Beetroot sorry another question!

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 08:16
by gavinjconway
xx
Beetroot Question

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 20:37
by Donnay
xx
Beetroot question

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 07:32
by Carrotcake
xx
Beetroot question

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 19:06
by Broadhaven

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 28 queries.