egg prices

• 22 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
egg prices
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 14:30 »
We don't have many to sell but our next door neighbours come round once or twice a week for half a doz or a doz if we have them.  When we first started this and discussed price I told them 80p half a doz (last summer this was).  They insisted on £1 half a doz.  I feel that this is a bit much as most of the gate sales in the area seem to be around the 1.60 - 1.80 a doz.  This is what they want to pay though and who are we to disagree.

If we were to sell more (we would need more hens, and a bigger run etc so the initial outlay   :lol: would be quite big),  I think I would ask 1.80 per doz (actually there don't seem to be any gate sales within about a 5 mile radius so we might do quite well!!!) :D

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
egg prices
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 13:27 »
Sell about 5 doz. ungraded a week from now until Ocober. Charged £3.50p last year and will keep them the same this year. Can't satisfy the demand and can't sell for any less if I am going to cover my food costs over the whole year.

Njal

egg prices
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 13:39 »
Before I got my hens I always bought then from a smallholding near my house.
They were always £1.30 a dozen.
Last year then went up for the first time in about 3 years to £1.50.
A few months later they went up to £1.80.
Last I bought from them was in September, they may have gone up since then.

I don't think the supermarket price increased by so much in so short a time which is probably why your customers were complaining.

One question - can you just sell excess eggs, no license or anything?

Vickie & Richard

egg prices
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 17:23 »
I live in a row of 11 cottages, my girls free range across all the open plan gardens.  I just put a note thru all our neighbours door to say i will put a bowl of eggs and a honesty pot by our back door and if they want eggs to help themselves.  Our first sale was for 2 eggs and they put in 50p!! blimey, i thought that was a good rate!  I have four girls who all give me an egg a day!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
egg prices
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 20:10 »
Quote from: "Fen"
Sell about 5 doz. ungraded a week from now until Ocober. Charged £3.50p last year and will keep them the same this year. Can't satisfy the demand and can't sell for any less if I am going to cover my food costs over the whole year.

thats the thing,you need to equate the barren period into the whole year.
they still need feeding laying or not :D

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
price of eggs
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 08:34 »
The first sack of layers pellets I bought at a cost me £7.20, had a note attached.  I didn't find this until after I had opened said sack.  The note stated among all the blurb that the feed was genetically modified.  GRRR!
I had to use the pellets, but as my girls did not start laying for 6 weeks, the feed was almost used up.
I insisted on non GM, therefore only choice was Organic layers pellets at £12.50 per sack.  The sack of mixed corn doesn't give a clue if any GM is in it. The pellets are much finer and my girls seem to enjoy it more.  Honestly!
My first half dozen eggs just sold for £1.00, which is what my customer insisted on paying. (I had said 80p, my husband thought they should be 90p).
Our garden where the 10 hens range is Organic, but until I am able to check out the corn, I can only claim that my eggs are Free Range.

Miller

egg prices
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 09:54 »
Sell at work and odd neighbours for £1 / half dozen and can't keep up with demand - had numerous people telling me they are too cheap!  

Will have to visit Grannie Annie for some more chooks in the spring!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Re: price of eggs
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 10:25 »
Quote from: "cathangirl"
The first sack of layers pellets I bought at a cost me £7.20, had a note attached.  I didn't find this until after I had opened said sack.  The note stated among all the blurb that the feed was genetically modified.  GRRR!
I had to use the pellets, but as my girls did not start laying for 6 weeks, the feed was almost used up.
I insisted on non GM, therefore only choice was Organic layers pellets at £12.50 per sack.  The sack of mixed corn doesn't give a clue if any GM is in it. The pellets are much finer and my girls seem to enjoy it more.  Honestly!
My first half dozen eggs just sold for £1.00, which is what my customer insisted on paying. (I had said 80p, my husband thought they should be 90p).
Our garden where the 10 hens range is Organic, but until I am able to check out the corn, I can only claim that my eggs are Free Range.

£12.50 :shock: just aswell you only keep 10 hens.
iv'e never seen organic pellets.

xx
Egg Prices

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 19:28
by flatcap
xx
Typical Hen Prices ?

Started by stamford on The Hen House

58 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 08:21
by Roughlee Handled
xx
poultry prices

Started by darren64 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 01:09
by hillfooter
xx
poultry prices

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 11:26
by jimroden

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.