egg prices

• 22 Replies

blackbob

• Experienced Member
egg prices
« on: January 11, 2009, 14:36 »
hi all,just wondering what price people are charging for a dozen large eggs.
after last years dramatic feed price increase,has everyone adjusted their egg price accordingly.thanks bob

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
egg prices
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 16:01 »
Mine are still £1.80 per dozen as I can't sell all I've got now, without putting them up!  But I had been charging the fitter at the conservatory place I clean for £1.50 a dozen as he buys for his mates and has about 6 doz plus a week.  When we told him Monday they are going up, he said I may lose one or 2 customers then as they only buy from me because they are cheap!!!  Cheeky so and so.

Even at £1.80 they are still cheaper than the cheapest supermarket eggs!
Then he said there's a place near Skegness where they only charge £3 a tray of 30, but they are in trays, not boxes and they do have hundreds of hens running around!

raeburg

egg prices
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 16:12 »
I charge £1 for half a dozen

blackbob

• Experienced Member
egg prices
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 16:23 »
iv'e just increased mine to £2 a dozen for the largest.
the price of layers pellets went up to £5.95 from £4.95 within 10 days.
i only run 50 hisex and a few l/sussex,so could sell a lot more.

poultrygeist

egg prices
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 17:23 »
We put ours up at £1.50/dozen just to test the water and we've sold out (not surprisingly!) but only really want to cover feed costs.

We'll have to up the price at some point if demand outstrips supply but wouldn't want to scare anyone off.

Rob 8)

blackbob

• Experienced Member
egg prices
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 17:38 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
We put ours up at £1.50/dozen just to test the water and we've sold out (not surprisingly!) but only really want to cover feed costs.

We'll have to up the price at some point if demand outstrips supply but wouldn't want to scare anyone off.

Rob 8)

do you have a lot of suppliers down you way rob?.
what price is your layers pellets if you dont mind me asking.

poultrygeist

egg prices
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 18:11 »
I think the pellets are about £7 but can't remember. My parents bought the last couple in exchange for eggs.

We're the only ones in this part of town as far as we know. Annie is about 8 miles out of town but you wouldn't expect to find eggs for sale here. And we don't get a lot of passing traffic. Just locals walking their dogs. :)

Rob

steephen

egg prices
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 18:47 »
We sell ours at £1.00 per half dozen. All nice large eggs from very free range birds. We have 3 sheds of hens roaming over 5 acre. (70 brown hybrid hens) Last summer I looked at Tescos egg prices for their so called free range and so I put my price up to £1.20. and we got several people complaining so but them back to a pound. We sell at farm gate and to friends. How they can say they are expensive when cheap mass produced free range where they rarely go outside and have small eggs from hens killed after a short laying year cost £1.40 beats me.

Molly Hen

egg prices
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 18:51 »
I think some people just want things for nothing.
They must think that as you are selling as farm gate, then they don't cost anything to feed.

AndyRVTR

egg prices
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 18:54 »
I'm sorry, but if people want the best then surely they should pay for it... Theres nothing to beat the flavour of 'proper' free range eggs.

poultrygeist

egg prices
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 19:02 »
Difference is, we don't have shareholders demanding 50% profits !

I'm hoping we can get a couple of regulars who won't mind if we're a bit short one week or need to raise the price by 10p occasionally. One of the customers was the lady who lives next to the lake and allowed us to release the ducks (for those who remember :) ).

And ours aren't properly free range yet until we can get some more netting on the grass. I think a non-grassy run doesn't count.

Rob 8)

desandchez

Egg prices
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:05 »
we live in the south and charge £3.00 per dozen and demand is out stripping supply. we have 11 hens and are thinking of getting more to meet demand. we dont even wash them as people seem to expect a little bit of dirt on them

too many girls

egg prices
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:27 »
2 dozen for a 24kg bag of wheat with a next door farmer, good old swapsies, trouble is, he likes my eggs so much he wants to marry me, when i said i don't think so, he asked me where i got my hens from...........................

blackbob

• Experienced Member
egg prices
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:48 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
2 dozen for a 24kg bag of wheat with a next door farmer, good old swapsies, trouble is, he likes my eggs so much he wants to marry me, when i said i don't think so, he asked me where i got my hens from...........................

is he rich lol,marry him and get your wheat for nothing :lol:

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
egg prices
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 14:18 »
I'm getting £1.50 per half dozen

One of the ladies I sell too said she picked up a box of Tesco buget free range eggs and laughed when she saw how small they were. I would love to know what some of these farmers call free range to be able to sell them so , so cheaply.

I did have one couple who said they couldn't afford them anymore but after a month they started to buy from me again.

I only sell to cover the feed etc and as I bake a lot amd make ice cream I can easily use them so i wouldn't put the price down.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

xx
Egg Prices

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 19:28
by flatcap
xx
Outrageous Prices

Started by slowef on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 22:38
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Typical Hen Prices ?

Started by stamford on The Hen House

58 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 08:21
by Roughlee Handled
xx
poultry prices

Started by darren64 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 01:09
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 36 queries.