OOOPS!!!

• 2 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
OOOPS!!!
« on: August 03, 2007, 21:49 »
Never thought it would be a problem last year growing my melons and cucumbers close together.  Didn't realise they might cross pollinate???

AS my melons didn't last long before dropping off, I didn't get to save any of the seeds, but I did save some cucumber seeds.  I also BOUGHT a new pakcet of melon seeds!

Now, only 3 of the melon seeds grew, I labelled them and put one in a big pot in the coldframe and 2 in the polytunnel.  Not many of my saved cucumber seeds grew the first time, so I sowed some more, and loads grew, so I picked out the best 4 for the polytunnel and someone gave me 3 outdoor cue plants fo I put those 3 outside!

I hadn't really looked at them much since coming back from Kent, but I did today, and the cucumbers that I can see growing, are round and furry, just like the melons I tried growing last year.  Then towards the back there is a melon on one of the plants that is the size of a tennis ball!   There is also one thta looks like it half melon and half cucumber!  lol

So should be interesting!  Now I have 4 possibilities here

1)  They cross polliinated
2)  I mixed up the labels
3)  I reused the compost from the melons that didn't germinate for cucumber seeds and the melons grew but not hte cucumbers or
4)  Someone has been in the greenhouse swapping my labels over!  But he wouldn't admit to that!!!!

But there's still the matter of one that looks like both.  a bit like the half squash/half melon was it that someone grew last year?  Was it yours SG? But its small still, so I could be mistaken.  I'll let you know what happens to them.

wildeone

OOOPS!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 00:09 »
a picture would be good! Any chance?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
OOOPS!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 16:01 »
I'll take a pic when the funny one gets a bit bigger, and once I've got this computer sorted out!

xx
Rosemary - ooops.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 07:07
by arugula
xx
Ooops! Too Early!

Started by LittleRedHen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 16:40
by strangerachael
xx
Ooops - been careless with labels

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 22:55
by compostqueen
xx
Ooops... determinate or indeterminate (tomatoes)?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 15:32
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.