Ooops! Too Early!

• 10 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Ooops! Too Early!
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:57 »
My cukes are in those cardboard pots that their roots can come through and are planted straight into the ground.  They're in a little greenhouse in our kitchen facing southwest.  Today when I was watering them, I noticed that they are putting out tendrals and that their roots are coming out of the pots!   :blink:  Oh no!  They're too early!  Now what?  They're awfully early to go straight outside.  All I can think to do is to plant them out and put a clear plastic cover over them, of some kind.  This is my first attempt at cucumbers, so I hope that some of you well-experienced people can help me out here! :ohmy:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Ooops! Too Early!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:14 »
if they are in cardboard that the roots can grow through, can you not just put the whole thing into a bigger pot until it's warm enough to plant out?
Rachael

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:38 »
I have my cukes on my windowsill (north facing) and they are about 14" long with tendrils, they are in 6" pots, so maybe you could pot yours into a bigger pot until it is warmer

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:57 »
You could re-pot them into a florists bucket which you have cut the bottom out of and when the weather warms up bury the bucket 1/2 way in the soil or compost.
It works well in garden or greenhouse.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 10:27 »
I've never found that Cues were bothered by being repotted.  I prick mine out into 3" then pot on to 5-6" then 9" and finally 12-14", or into the greenhouse border at that point.

So I would favour just potting them on - assuming you can fit a bigger pot on your windowsill!

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 13:20 »
As anyone else apart from me not even sown theirs yet? 

I was, and still am, planning on sowing some this weekend, will they catch up?  I'm sure it said April on the packet.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 13:52 »
Yesterday I sowed red cabbage and sunflowers outside in pots.

Nothing else has been sown yet - perhaps in the next few days.  I'd certainly say you're not too late
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 14:06 »
Thanks all!  I'm going out to the shed to see what pots I can scavange to pot on.  Should be able to find enough and this would also stop my husband from throwing them out when he cleans out the shed next week while I'm at work!   ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 15:41 »
As anyone else apart from me not even sown theirs yet? 

I think you may have the better plan.

This year I have planted everything at the earliest date the packet suggests - impatient to get going.

But the low light levels, and lack of heat, early in the season have made lots of things leggy.  They are getting cracking now, but I don't think delaying a while would have made much, if any, difference.

The local garden centre had loads of very poorly looking Tomato plants on "special offer" at the beginning of the month - they had their Toms outside (well, covered by a clear corrugated plastic roof, but whilst sheltered it wasn't warm!). I imagine they manage to do that every year ... :)

diggerjoe

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 15:48 »
I was determined to be early this year (my second year with plot!) but plans gone to pot sorry about that - still behind as last year but with the weather forecast here good at the weekend I shall use the daylight hours for digging and into the night sowing seeds oin the kitchen musch to OH annoyance ::)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 16:40 »
I will be sowing a second lot of cucumbers around early June, because mine always seem to be over just when the tomatoes are coming on stream. I did this last year and still got masses of fruit, even planted outside.

xx
OOOPS!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 16:01
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Rosemary - ooops.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 07:07
by arugula
xx
Ooops - been careless with labels

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 22:55
by compostqueen
xx
Ooops... determinate or indeterminate (tomatoes)?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 15:32
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 36 queries.