Chainsaw Protective Clothing

• 19 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Chainsaw Protective Clothing
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:24 »
I've a lot of wood to saw up into woodburner size logs so going to be busy wielding the chainsaw. After a chat tonight with she who must be obeyed, ventured onto Ebay and got myself kitted out with the protective clothing. Helmet & face guard, trousers, jacket and gloves. I've already got steel toecap boots.

£148.50!!!

Believe it or not, that's pretty reasonable - I could easily have paid three times that. This pile of 'free' wood gets more expensive by the day  :(

And I thought all you needed was a hockey mask... but that's in Texas
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:28 by John »
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Gwiz

Re: Chainsaw Protective Clothing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:41 »
Better safe than sorry John.
The kit's only got to work once....... :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:05 »
You should get some training too if you're wielding a chain saw. They're lethal of course

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:19 »
Well worth the cost, i have seen a few chainsaw scars on forestry workers and they are never pretty!

This is worth a watch , MUW7JNk7zVw

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:35 »
I've seen the scars on a pair of chainsaw trousers ... the wearer would have been fine underneath them though.  It's one of the few things indelibly ingrained from my gardening course.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:19 »
I thought the order of things was to attend the chain saw course to enable you to buy the protective gear. 

Do the course John or I won't rest  :D

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:31 »

A friend of my daughter is a tree surgeon,and would never think of using a chainsaw without the proper protective gear.

He says you don't get a second chance with a chainsaw.

In the summer (well one dry day ) a neighbour of mine was using a chainsaw to cut branches
 from his trees .He was at the top of a ladder on his own,just wearing shorts and a tee shirt and trainers ,putting himself at risk of serious injury.  

Some people simply don't realise the consequences of a mistake ,I would never consider using one without the correct protective gear.

Cheers Carl

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:14 »
OK - I've been a bit of an idiot. I haven't tried to use the saw on a ladder or for chopping down mighty oaks in the forest but just for chopping up long lengths into burnable logs. And the saw itself is just an electric one that I can use in the shed that cost £55.

It does seem a bit mad when you pay three times the cost of the tool for the safety gear. And everything you buy seems to have a list of safety instructions as long as your arm, usually completely over the top. You know, 'do not work on live electric cables whilst standing in a bath of water'

However, the safety stop feature stopped working on the saw so I'm awaiting the replacement and thinking about the consequences of an accident decided the 'insurance' of buying the gear was worth it. Painful, but not as painful as cutting an artery would be

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:00 »
you are right John that cost was very cheap - my chainsaw boots cost me about £100 alone, mind you they are a size 4 which isn't the normal size range and it was in the days before ebay. The trousers with the wadding really are worth their weight in gold, whether your chainsaw is electric or powered this safety gear is a must.
Another thing you will need to do before going up a ladder with a chainsaw is to practise you knots and also if high up then wear a harness and secure yourself.
Staffies are softer than you think.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:54 »
I've no intention of doing much beyond chopping logs up. When we had the major tree work done I got a chap from the next village who climbs around the treetops like a monkey. Plus the fact I don't like heights  :blink:

The thought of trying to control a chainsaw on a ladder makes me shiver. I'm hoping that when the trees we planted are ready to harvest my son in law will step in, having completed his countryside management courses...

grendel

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 13:53 »
a work colleague watched as his neighbour was cutting the branches from a tree on a slope, when the man slipped and the ladder fell he not only impaled himself on the fence - he also took his own ear off when the saw swung past as he fell - he has made a recovery, but considering he was a sailor and wouldnt climb the mast or rigging without a harness, it shows that you have to bear safety a good mind when you start to look at these projects in the garden.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 16:04 »
Well I've got the trousers, gloves & helmet - makes me look like something out of Alien Invasion 2 - only problem is the jacket is too tight so that's headed back.

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 16:36 »
only problem is the jacket is too tight so that's headed back.

Must of shrunk in the post. ;)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 16:55 »
And on reflection, so had the gloves. Bit weird, I've loads of builder gloves size 10 that are fine but the chainsaw gloves size 10 are just that bit small and after half an hour I can see me taking them off. So they're swapping them for next size up.

The trousers are really warm and comfy but with the bib I feel like a children's TV presenter. BUT when I've got the helmet on.. I am your father Luke.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 21:40 »
I hate to add extra expense to your kit, but you really need chainsaw boots as well. If you catch yourself, it will be more likely be the side or top of your foot , not the toes, so steelies won't protect you.  Sorry  :(

Has the helmet got ear defenders?  You will need them  :)

xx
Which chainsaw

Started by jimbeekeeper on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 22:59
by Vit
xx
Chainsaw Tips.

Started by MickyB on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 15:47
by Swed
thumbup
Electric chainsaw

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 20:16
by greenjay
xx
Dolmar 104 Chainsaw

Started by Aidy on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2012, 09:39
by Aidy

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 29 queries.