Jostaberry cuttings?

• 5 Replies

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
Jostaberry cuttings?
« on: October 28, 2012, 21:55 »
I've inherited a rather overgrown Jostaberry bush with the allotment and since I'm going to be removing quite a lot (half of it is growing outside the fruit cage!) I reckon there should be plenty of cuttings for me and some extra to give away...

however, before I get carried away, I have a couple of questions:

I've noticed that some of the leaves have a  kind of scaling on them - I've attached a picture of one of the leaves - it's only on the upper side of the leaf.  Is this something I need to worry about and should I still be giving cuttings away?
I can't see any visible beasties and the bush produced fruit this year  - 2nd pic also taken yesterday - you can see the leaves starting to die back but looks otherwise healthy (to me anyway).  This isn't affecting all of the leaves, maybe a quarter or so to varying degrees (the pic is one of the more affected ones)

Is there anything I can do for the bush?  - I think it's old due to the size of the lower stems (3-4 inch diameter and 2 foot high which it then bushes out from), should it be replaced eventually with the cuttings I'm taking this year?

Assuming that this isn't anything to worry about, and if anyone wants a cutting, can I get more than 1 cutting per stem?  I was planning on posting a 6-7 inch piece wrapped in a bubble wrap envelope thingy by second class (this was how I received my 'ribena-berry cutting and should keep to 'letter' size postage ;)  ), is this OK?  Is there something I can do to help them survive the journey?

There will only be a finite amount of cuttings so please say if you'd like one then I'll PM for an address when I know how many are available, and that they are safe to pass on.

Lastly, sorry for the long post!
jostaberryid.jpg
jostaberryid2.jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Jostaberry cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 22:02 »
I'm moving this to GYO as I think questions need to be answered before passing cuttings on. Members that may be able to answer these questions are more likely to see this post in that forum.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 22:08 »
thanks, DD (I did wonder if better over there ::) )

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 22:13 »
Glad you replied to this, as after making my first posting, I forgot to move it!

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 22:15 »
 :lol: :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 22:16 »
I'm reaching "that age".

Meanwhile, back of topic....................

xx
Jostaberry cuttings

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 09:34
by richyrich7
xx
Jostaberry

Started by brianh on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 15:09
by brianh
xx
Jostaberry...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 05:46
by Growster...
xx
jostaberry

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 22:37
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.769 seconds with 36 queries.