Spade or fork to lift parsnips?

• 17 Replies

Yana

Spade or fork to lift parsnips?
« on: October 26, 2012, 13:26 »
I have used both today and still managed to 'spear' a few. At ideas how I can avoid this?

Also, some of the parsnips had a really deep root and I haven't managed to get them out yet. What shall I do??  ???
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

8doubles

Re: Spade or fork to lift parsnips?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 14:27 »
I think you already know the answer to this one ! :)

Start further away and dig deeper !

I do mark my snips individually with a cane on the side i am  going to dig from to give me some idea if they should get snowed under and a sturdy fork is easier to get through a couple of inches of frosty ground.                    
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 14:35 by 8doubles »

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 14:48 »
I always use a fork and first loosen at least 2 sides a few inches away before getting it up with the 3rd. The whole length usually comes up this way.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:12 »
Rule 1: If you do all that Trillium quite rightly suggests you will then discover you are digging up one of those annoying stunted little parsnips which are only a few inches long!  :mad:

Rule 2: If you gamble that the next one will be the same so try to save yourself such careful precision digging you will find that you snap off or spear through what would otherwise have been the best parsnip in the entire patch!  :mad:  :mad:

Rule 3: Having gone back to careful precision digging parsnip 3 will be exactly the same as in Rule 1 !  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 15:18 »
 :lol: :lol: Can I guess that you don't have good luck with parsnips, Jay?

I heavily manure my clay soil and I always get an outstanding crop, with only the occasional stunted one because I have some large rocks hidden in my veg bed.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 16:02 »
I'm usually quite successful with parsnips but I sow them late-ish to improve germination so they need a decent summer to grow to a really good size............only had 3 out so far because there's been no frost yet and they were as described above - hopefully the others will be better although I certainly picked the wrong year to rotate them into a less sunny area of the plot!    :nowink:

LilacSandy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 16:49 »
I tried to get one of mine out a few days ago, after sweating for about 10 mins trying to lift with a fork one of the old boys came over and suggested I used a spade.  In the end I managed to dig it out,  Still missed the end of the root though.

parsnip.JPG

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 17:17 »
I wonder if my favourite snip Gladiator were called that `cos they put up a fight ! :)

Yana

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 21:49 »
I've had another go today and suffice to say, they still got the better of me. One root took ages to dig ht using fork and spade but it was worth it. Made spicy parsnip soup .......... Yum, yum  :D

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 22:07 »
With a fork I inevitably end up either spiking the root or raking it up the side as I lever up and the root stays put.

I know it looks good to arrive home with a 3 foot root but the bottom bit, less than about an inch across, is not of great use in the kitchen. I use a spade and fork. Loosen the soil on all sides with a fork taking care to miss the root. Then go in with a spade at a steep angle so that you slice the root through deep down. It then usually comes out with a pull but may need help with a fork.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 05:30 »
You said word for word what I was going to say Salmo...;0)

Our second parsnip this year had a streak of canker, so I'm getting interested in what the third chap is like...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18 »
Get'em out with whatever you need to use, crowbar is handy when the soil's frozen solid  :ohmy:
It seems that whatever you use - you end up spiking some, or chopping the ends off  ::)  :lol:

They still taste good though (so I'm told - cos I don't lik'em!)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:32 by mumofstig »

LilacSandy

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 09:29 »
I think this year I will wait till the ground dries a bit, (yes I know, but I can hope) and then take them all up and freeze.  Last year it was frozen every time I wanted one which was so frustrating, may as well get very hot, bothered and extremely dirty just the once.  I fell a little silly as I was trying to get some large parsnips but next year I am going to plant twice as many just a little closer so that I get smaller ones.

Yana

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 12:07 »
The lottie is so wet now and the soil is starting to cool down, you can feel it when you are digging and harvesting root crops, but I don't want to pull all the snips up just yet.
Last year I actually  went to the lottie on the morning of the day we don't mention to get brussels and snips for lunch. I want to do that again this year  so a bit reluctant to dig them all out now.
I'll try the space at an angle and see if that works. Can't do any harm leaving the final bit of root in can it?

bigfatwallet

• My Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 12:13 »
Normally grow mine in a 12" raised bed so they generally lift out very easily with the aid of a hand trowel. The raised bed ensures it is stone free and therefore nice length / size parsnips.

xx
Spade or Fork?

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 10:44
by TRACKS
xx
Fork to fork with monty don

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 23:39
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
WE HAVE LIFT OFF !!!

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 19:47
by Beetroot Queen
xx
when to lift potatoes?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 12:52
by Lee G

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 38 queries.