Should I Change My Plot?

• 14 Replies

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
Should I Change My Plot?
« on: October 22, 2012, 15:28 »
So i'm 4 weeks in to my new allotment. Got two beds completely dug-over, i've put 2 raised beds in one, which I've planted my winter onions and garlic in, and I'm awaiting my raspberries from Marshall's to put in the second.

However, on Saturday, when I was down finishing off the second bed, my Mrs came to the plot with the gentleman who was selling stuff in the hut (she had gone in to get netting to cover the veg).

The man explained that he had been on the plot since 1966 and has 3 plots at the opposite side. After that he basically said my plot is rubbish, too water-logged, has too many weeds and the old man who had it before me gave up after 4 unsuccessful years.

Oh Joy.

He then proceeded to say that the plot beside him has become available and we'd be better off taking that as we'd have better success.

I'm not to sure how to take this and it's been on my mind since Saturday. Was he just being blunt and straight to the point, or has he seen that we're newbies and it's best to keep an eye on us?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

noshed

Re: Should I Change My Plot?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 15:36 »
Nothing is ever simple is it?
You'll soon see if it's waterlogged this weather, so you can make a judgement. Raised beds should help with that though.
Too many weeds is what happens to every plot if you don't do weeding...
If it was an old man who gave it up, maybe it was more to do with being old than anything else.
Unless the plot looks like a lake now I'd be inclined to keep on going where you are. Have a good examination of the soil and make sure you have a plan for it (see the articles on here and John's books)
Just my thoughts
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 16:20 »
can you get other opinions - is the guy who gave up or anyone else on that "side" of the allotments around to talk to ????????
R

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 16:24 »
I sounds like you've done a lot of work to your plot already and if I were you I wouldn't be eager to move and start from scratch again.  How did you find the soil as your were digging the beds?  Could you double dig and was there much stone/clay deeper down?  What is the landscape like around you?  Are you in a valley or lower than the other plots so the water would run to your plot and flood you?  I've no experience of water logged patches but there must be folk on here that could advise whether it is easily corrected or something you should run a mile from  :blush:
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 16:55 »
can you get other opinions - is the guy who gave up or anyone else on that "side" of the allotments around to talk to ????????
R

I should get more opinions. I spoke with the previous plot holder but he says he couldn't keep up with it as he is in his 70's and now has a half plot. I'm 28 so i'm not afraid of the work.

I put some pics on my diary 'Jim's New Plot' showing the water between me and the plot next door.

I knew it was wet when I got it, which is why i started building the raised beds (even though filling them is expensive!)

Jim

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 17:01 »
Someone who handles 3 plots for years will probably know his stuff and if you can see the water on the surface i would try for the drier plot. You can always take the raised bed surrounds to the new plot.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 17:27 »
is there a ditch nearby? you could dig a drainage channel and put a grip in it.if this isnt possible then change plots.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 17:49 »
I took over an allotment from an older guy in his 70s who couldn't keep up with it (well that's the bottom of a long story). It was wet because it was very pure clay, the soil was knackered and one half was weed ridden where it had been "used" whilst the other half was so closed to brick makers clay that nothing grew in it.

It has taken six years, a lot of sweat, deep digging, green manure, pigeon and chicken *, leave mould and compost to get it to be productive.

You sound RookieJim as if you have a combination of things - the same combination that I have had and possibly adjacent plots which are not properly dug over so that drainage is a problem.

I'd also say that the bloke who suggested you move next to him has seen a good grafter and decided that you would be a most suitable neighbour. You also won't have had time to see how well he keeps his three plots going will you? Cynical me? Yes.  :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 18:21 »
I took over an allotment from an older guy in his 70s who couldn't keep up with it (well that's the bottom of a long story). It was wet because it was very pure clay, the soil was knackered and one half was weed ridden where it had been "used" whilst the other half was so closed to brick makers clay that nothing grew in it.

It has taken six years, a lot of sweat, deep digging, green manure, pigeon and chicken *, leave mould and compost to get it to be productive.

You sound RookieJim as if you have a combination of things - the same combination that I have had and possibly adjacent plots which are not properly dug over so that drainage is a problem.

I'd also say that the bloke who suggested you move next to him has seen a good grafter and decided that you would be a most suitable neighbour. You also won't have had time to see how well he keeps his three plots going will you? Cynical me? Yes.  :lol:

Those in charge would probably not give 2nd and 3rd plots to a bad grower, and i do believe allotment growing should be a pleasure and not a penance. :) 

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 18:46 »
You are lucky that this person has taken an interest in you.

Have a look at the vacant plot. Better to swap over now than regret it for years to come. That is if you lasted that long on your wet and difficult plot.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 18:55 »
It is a tricky one.

I would take a look at the plot as salmo says, but I would also bear in mind the work you have already done. 

I took on a plot that hadn't been cultivated in living memory  ::) It was badly compacted as everyone seemed to use it as a shortcut to the shop!  This plot is now 100% productive and, thanks to using the lasagne bed method to develop raised beds, the soil is well drained and not compacted at all.

It may well be fortunate that he has told you the truth at this stage (as I am, like Christine, wondering if the other plotholder wants you as a plot neighbour)!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

allotmentann

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 19:12 »
I would take a look at the other plot before deciding. I would think that you could move your onions and garlic and the raised bed boards. I tend to agree it might be better to have wasted four weeks than to regret it for years IF your plot is known to be water logged and the other one is better. Definitely try to talk to other plot holders. I hope that you are able to make the right decision, but I would leave out of the equation what you have already done and try to decide which plot you would choose if you were starting from scratch. Four weeks (especially at this time of year) is easily made up and is nothing out of years of happy allotmenting. Choose whichever plot is best :)

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 19:17 »
One thought, if it grows lots of weeds the soil must be pretty good. I am not sure this would be the case if it were regularly waterlogged.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 21:59 »
look at the lie of the land is the plot you may move to on much higher ground? if not the plot you have looks good to me all the near by plots look productive your soil looks dark and good  if the old boy has got a crop of pots out this year then you are doing well . The raised beds will help a lot . just make sure that the person who wants you as a neibour has not got a weed infested tip he wants clearing next door to him  ;) 
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

noshed

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15 »
Looking at your pics you have done a grand job. The soil looks not too bad, although clearly heavy and raised beds with space for the run-off in between are probably the way to go but have a look at the other plot as well and have a good chat to the neighbours.

xx
Not much of a change?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 14:55
by dougsta
xx
Turnips for a change )

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 13:09
by madcat
question
compost in tubs (when to change?)

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 22:37
by mountainvicar
thumbup
Somthing positive ... (for a change)

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 08:23
by New shoot

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 28 queries.