Turnips for a change )

• 41 Replies

MoreWhisky

Turnips for a change )
« on: January 29, 2009, 00:01 »
One nugget of info i got from some guy down at site today was if u can grow turnips u can grow anything  :)

Now assomeone whos never grown a turnip in his life (yet) how correct is this lil gem of info  :D
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

matron

Re: Turnips for a change )
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:35 »
Was he referring just to your site MW?
I have grown turnips and would have said they were easy to grow, now swede is a different matter - I've had no success with that at all.  :blink:

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:09 »
That's cheered me up then as when we first started with our plot last summer we grew some purple top milans and they all germinated and grew loverly,tasted great too. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:11 »
I have grown turnips and would have said they were easy to grow, now swede is a different matter - I've had no success with that at all.  :blink:

I had my best year with swede this year.

I tried a 30' row straight in the ground & a couple of dozen as transplants.

I got 6 useable ones!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:52 »
I think he was just on about growing turnips in general.

As usual a mixed bag of replys  :D

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:43 »

I had my best year with swede this year.

I tried a 30' row straight in the ground & a couple of dozen as transplants.

I got 6 useable ones!!!

Grew a little block of them at the end of one or my beds... had the first post this recent sharp frosts and it was absolutely delicious... reckon I'll get about 6/8 usable ones out of 20 though some are still turnip size
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 16:06 »
got to admit Ive never tasted turnip( i dont remember if I did as a young 'un anyway)..they taste like swede I presume?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

matron

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:21 »
got to admit Ive never tasted turnip( i dont remember if I did as a young 'un anyway)..they taste like swede I presume?

I would say that they aren't as sweet as swede. We grew them but no-one liked them.  :wacko:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 10:08 »

I would say that they aren't as sweet as swede. We grew them but no-one liked them.  :wacko:
sounds like we wont here as well matron

Frecks

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 18:42 »
I've had no trouble growing turnips - now parsnips that's another matter!
I sow my turnips quite thickly and pull some very small, no bigger than table tennis ball size when they are sweet and tasty enough to grate into salads.  I love them.  Having plucked the little 'uns the remainder can grow on to a decent size.

Elcie

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 18:44 »
I grew some in pots last year and was successful.  Might use one of my raised beds this year but probably wouldn't want use the whole of it.

Any suitable companions for turnips? (other than swede!)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 18:53 »
I thought that Turnips were really part of the cabbage lot, even though they grow as root veg. I gorw mine with other brassicas,
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 14:48 »
I have a couple of newbie questions about turnips. At the behest of my nippers I am going to try growing turnip snowball this year. As they are brassica's do cabbage whites et al like them as much as they like the rest of the brassica tribe, in which case will I need netting etc. Also will slugs go for the green tops or all of the plant including the root? Can I interplant with beetroot? Sorry for asking so may questions but turnips are a new venture for me and my track record with other brassicas is not great.  Thanks Col
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

madcat

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 14:52 »
From my experience - no to the butterflies :); slugs eat the lot given half a chance >:( (I ended up netting so I could put pellets down and I don't do that unless really forced) and don't know about beetroot - dont like them  (school salads I think) :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 15:27 »
Can I interplant with beetroot? Sorry for asking so may questions but turnips are a new venture for me and my track record with other brassicas is not great.  Thanks Col
As far as I am aware there is no UK law to say you can't  ;) I would of thought they would grow happily next to each other, one consideration as it is a hot topic, is to keep them together for rotation purpose in the following years.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
turnips

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 11:40
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
Turnips

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 18:37
by mumofstig
xx
Turnips

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2022, 13:44
by Snowboar
xx
turnips

Started by bowler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 19:06
by AnneB

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 36 queries.