Best way to save tomato seeds?

• 15 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Best way to save tomato seeds?
« on: October 19, 2012, 08:45 »
I noticed that after 5 years of using the same packet the germination rate of my Red Alert tomatoes was rather low this year, so given that they are an open-pollinated variety (i.e. not F1) I decided to try and save some seed for next year as they have been a really consistent and productive stalwart (albeit probably not the tastiest tom on the planet.)

About a month ago I squeezed the seeds out of a ripe fruit, washed them in a sieve, then "fermented" them in a tumbler of water for 3 days to get rid of the jelly-like coating, washed again and dried.
That appeared to work and resulted in "clean" seeds but there weren't many of them so I tried the same thing a couple of days ago and within 24 hours in water every single one had germinated!  :ohmy:

Tried an alternative technique which allegedly results in seeds which don't keep as long - just rubbed them under running water in a sieve until the coating appeared to have been removed - these are now drying.
Just one usable tomato left if someone has another method to try!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Best way to save tomato seeds?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:48 »
Slap 'em on a piece of kitchen towel and spread them thinly.

Let them dry thoroughly.

Store on the kitchen towel and when it comes to sowing time, rip them off individually and sow them towel and all.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:54 »
I do the sieve under running water thing being quite rough with the seed to get it clean then spread out on  newspaper in the sun to dry. Them scrape the seed off with a fingernail or knife.

Some people space the washed seed out on kitchen roll and plant the whole sheet but i have never tried it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:59 »
See previous post, but I don't even bother washing them out.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:10 »
Used the same method as DD and it worked fine.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 12:47 »
I too can verify that DD.'s kitchen towel method works well.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 13:21 »
I've done both ways successfully.  With the seeds in jar for 3 days method.  Did you shake the jar every day?  That's what I do and never had anything germinate.

Strangely enough though, our friends popped in the other day and Harry said he'd done the jar method and forgot about them for a few days.  When he looked he said the seeds had started to germinate!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 13:31 »
Didn't have the chance to shake the jar every day as they had germinated within 24 hours!
Strange how it didn't happen a month ago - maybe some sort of vernalisation process happened in the meantime?  :unsure:

No-faff techniques always appeal to me as long as they work - I'll probably compromise by using the sieve-and-scrub method to avoid having to work out how to safely store a kitchen-rollful of tomato seeds!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 13:35 »
If I use the kitchen towle method Jon, I just spread the seeds over one piece of towel like DD does. then once the seeds and towel are well and truly dry, just fold it up and slip into a little envelope or something, label and put with the other seeds.

When needed, I just tear off a seed at a time!

lizt

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 17:11 »
hi

i also heard about a method that you plant a whole ripe tomato in a spot of ground and wait till it 'self seeds' when the seedlings appear prick out and transfer to pots or where you plan on growing them on... kinda makes sense as anyone who has accidently composted tomato knows they soon sprout up.

lizzy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 18:19 »
Ive just put 2 sorts of heritage toms onto kitchen paper  :D I wrote on the paper which sort they were ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 18:27 »
hi

i also heard about a method that you plant a whole ripe tomato in a spot of ground and wait till it 'self seeds' when the seedlings appear prick out and transfer to pots or where you plan on growing them on... kinda makes sense as anyone who has accidently composted tomato knows they soon sprout up.

lizzy

But where would you find a ripe tomato of the sort we want to grow in February?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 18:28 »
Thanks all - I'll probably complete the experiment by squirting my last tomato at a piece of kitchen roll (what's the betting it goes all over the floor?!  :lol:)

Lizt - yes I've had unidentified cucurbit and tomato plants popping up all over the garden which wouldn't even have contemplated doing so if I'd sown them deliberately!  :nowink:

lizt

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 15:39 »
hi DD

sorry, i wasn't very clear, you plant them now and they will start to grow next year when the weather starts to get warmer.  :)

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 18:07 »
Glad you put this post on Jay as i had one `Coeur de Boeuf' tom left on the window sill and i remembered to de-seed it before it joined the ribeye steak and onions on the griddle plate !

Very tasty and hoping for many more next tom season ! :)

xx
Salsify - Can I save the seeds?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 22:13
by Trillium
xx
how to save seeds for Broad Bean

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 23:40
by Alastair-I
xx
How can I save / harvest my own cabbage and cauli seeds?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 14:33
by gillie
xx
2 Heritage pea seeds - best way to grow to save seed

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2023, 22:01
by OakR

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 38 queries.