What veg needs feeding now...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

What veg needs feeding now...
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:27 »
We usually liquid feed everything about once a week, and while the leeks are getting to about 2" diameter, and the peas are going mad too, the celeriac seems to need much more, if it is going to bulk out from golf ball size, as it should!

Does anyone follow rules on feeding, and know when to stop, or perhaps double up if it's the case of brassicas etc?

Goosegirl

Re: What veg needs feeding now...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 16:36 »
IMHO at this time of year, growth will naturally slow down so, if you feed weekly, it will encourage soft growth that will be susceptible to disease, frost etc.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 16:57 »
Agree with GG, although high nitrogen fertilisers would be the worst culprit in that respect.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 23:01 »
I have runner beans growing in containers and have just given them a last high potash feed in the hope they might put on a bit more before the first frosts. Everything else will just have to tough it out.  As has been said, you don't really want much growth at this time of year.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41 »
IMHO at this time of year, growth will naturally slow down so, if you feed weekly, it will encourage soft growth that will be susceptible to disease, frost etc.

That's sound advice Goosers - thank you!

I always remember a prog where a chap was feeding his leeks to attain Superman proportions, and he mixed all sorts of things in a big barrel, including a bottle of Newcastle Brown ale, which seemed slightly wasteful to me...

Our soil is not top quality yet, and after years of neglect, we do tend to err on the heavy side for feeding, and give the chaps something to get their teeth into...

...but as you say, we could overdo the generosity too...

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:43 »
Agree with GG, although high nitrogen fertilisers would be the worst culprit in that respect.

Thank you Jay - as above, it seems the right consideration about now!

We have a few gallons of comfrey to use for these latter stages of growth, and perhaps some more on the brassicas will not do much harm at the moment.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:45 »
I have runner beans growing in containers and have just given them a last high potash feed in the hope they might put on a bit more before the first frosts. Everything else will just have to tough it out.  As has been said, you don't really want much growth at this time of year.

That's interesting Solway, because ours - funnily enough - are now slowing to a stop, and there may be a few more days in them with that sort of feed!

Mind you, we're beginning to get to thinking that we can move on to other veg which is bubbling up...

Thank you!

xx
What should I be feeding now?

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 21:50
by jacnal
xx
Over Feeding

Started by Dominic on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:22
by Stripey_cat
xx
Feeding

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 18:01
by Maccbean
xx
Feeding

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 20:37
by mkhenry

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 28 queries.