Onion and Garlic dIsaster

• 3 Replies

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
Onion and Garlic dIsaster
« on: September 13, 2012, 19:59 »
HI all,I need some help I have had the worst year with my onions and garlic,grew some from seed after a very slow start put in sets.Result nil points!! At our gardening club we were given 6 kelsia to grow with some special feed for our garden show comp,a little improvement but not a patch on previous year .To rub salt in the wound I went to see the guy who gave us the kelsia for the comp his were 21 inches round.The garlic was just as bad.I have been using growmore and a sheep muck dilute to feed could this be the problem?Or is it just a bad year.Anyone else had bad results  :unsure:

allotmentann

Re: Onion and Garlic dIsaster
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 20:13 »
I think if you search through previous threads you will find that lots of people have had a bad year with these. Personally I was very late planting both onions and garlic (late spring, as that is when I got my plot), so I was happy to harvest anything! However, another  allotmenteer was growing the same variety of onions as you, I happened to comment on how large his onions were and he said "no, they are really small compared  to previous years!". So it is probably more the strange weather than anything :)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 20:22 »
I had an amazing first year on the plot.. except for the spuds everything was brill.. I put a 4" layer of fresh horse poo mixed with shavings, a bit of growmore and chicken pellets and dug it all in - we have it delivered free in bags so it took loads and loads of trips with the barrow to the front gate!! It worked for me and we were a very wet site this year. I planted about 400 onions finished up with 240 weighing in 45kg's .  We ate loads of them as green onions hence only left with 240!! (they are great to BBQ when green..)

My garlic was fair to ok but could have been a bit better - overall pleased with the final result.

Just a recent pic from the gate.
2012-09-08 09.54.47L_rs.jpg
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 20:38 »
Cheers ,I have the chance of some horse muck so Ill get a load and try that for next year ,lets hope for better weather.

xx
onion sets disaster or not

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 21:34
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Double necked exhibition onion disaster

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 21:25
by Motivator
xx
Garlic disaster

Started by green_lolly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2015, 17:49
by green_lolly
xx
Garlic disaster!

Started by LottieSue on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:40
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 27 queries.