Help Please - Have I made a Boo-Boo?

• 11 Replies

aligemini

Help Please - Have I made a Boo-Boo?
« on: September 07, 2012, 19:41 »
Evening all,

I bought from the Range today some “Winter White” Cauliflower plants. Thinking I could plant them now to grow over winter so the plot doesn’t look totally bare through the winter. But after checking this site and the internet tonight, I’m wondering if I should have planted them out a lot earlier in the year to harvest in the winter months?

I’ve also bought some Leeks “White” for the same reason.

Soooo can anyone tell me if I’ve made a boo- boo or not please. ???

Many thanks in advance :)

Alison.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help Please - Have I made a Boo-Boo?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 19:53 »
I can't find that particular variety, but there are cauliflower varieties that get planted now - like this one
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/42278/cauliflower-walcheren-winter-3-armado-april-x15

They grow through the winter to harvest, usually, in April or May.

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 19:56 »
Can't remember the varieties but I have two lots of cauli plants that I am growing on before  I plant out, I am hoping to get them quite large so that they will withstand the army of slugs on my plot.

aligemini

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 21:04 »
I can't find that particular variety, but there are cauliflower varieties that get planted now - like this one
http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/42278/cauliflower-walcheren-winter-3-armado-april-x15

Thanks Mumofstig,

I googled the name also and didn't come up with much ::) I'll plant them out tomorrow and hope for the best.  :)  - Do you think I need to protect them with fleece or plastic from the worst of the weather aswell as protecting them from pests?

aligemini

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 21:12 »
Can't remember the varieties but I have two lots of cauli plants that I am growing on before  I plant out, I am hoping to get them quite large so that they will withstand the army of slugs on my plot.

Hi LilacSandy and thanks,

The army of slugs and snails has bee terrible this year hasn't it :mad: Goodluck with your Cauli's :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:55 »
Thanks, but I try them every year and I get excited if I get a tennis ball size florette  :lol: :lol:

aligemini

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 17:17 »
Thanks, but I try them every year and I get excited if I get a tennis ball size florette  :lol: :lol:

:D fingerscrossed they grow bigger for you next year  :)

Didn't plant out my cauli's today as the plot needed a good weeding before anything could be planted plus hubby forked over the bed I was going to plant them in so before we left i did the shuffle over the bed then raked, shuffled/raked again hopefully that will be firm enough for the cauli's. :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 19:46 »

Thanks Mumofstig,

I googled the name also and didn't come up with much ::) I'll plant them out tomorrow and hope for the best.  :)  - Do you think I need to protect them with fleece or plastic from the worst of the weather aswell as protecting them from pests?

I guess that if this variety is being sold now, then it is suitable for growing through the winter to crop late Spring.

Just make sure you give them enough space, as the leaves can have a wide spread. Plenty of water in the Spring, and a good feed from time to time too, and they should do you proud  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 19:51 »
Protect them from pigeons if you have a problem with them in your area.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 20:03 »

Good point azubah. Actually we still have Small White butterflies laying eggs here, too, so a bit of netting over the plants would be a good idea on two fronts  :D

aligemini

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 22:12 »

Thanks Mumofstig,

I guess that if this variety is being sold now, then it is suitable for growing through the winter to crop late Spring.

Just make sure you give them enough space, as the leaves can have a wide spread. Plenty of water in the Spring, and a good feed from time to time too, and they should do you proud  :D

That’s what I thought too Sunshineband until I googled, then got a bit confused, so thought I would ask all of you, if however, you had said I had missed the boat so to speak I was going to take them back and ask for a refund. £6 is a lot to throw away if they have been miss sold. :(
Here’s hoping they grow well  :) what spacing would you recommend?  My R/Bed is 4.5ft x 8ft

I’m thinking 18inches between each plant. – Would that be enough?

Also what food would you feed them?

aligemini

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 22:20 »

Hi Azubah, Yes loads of flying rats round here and Cabbage Whites so all my Brassicas are netted from those pests.  :)

Thanks both for your input, very much appreciated. :)

xx
new veg made!!

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 01, 2010, 23:48
by Lulu
xx
Have I made a boo-boo?

Started by kel28 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 10:32
by gobs
xx
Have I made a mistake?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 16:42
by Mr Dog
xx
well it made me laugh.....

Started by ruth82 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 21:20
by jack russell

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 30 queries.