Red mites or bedbugs chicken flea?? HELP!!

• 19 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Red mites or bedbugs chicken flea?? HELP!!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 21:47 »
That would make a good day shelter for hens in the garden with our lovely British weather.   :lol:  Thanks for the link.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 13:01 »
Yes thanks for the link Frenchliving

I've taken apart my old lovely wood coop and it's alive with the little blighters!

Treating today so it's up to B%Q for a plastic box like the one you've linked to.

Trouble is I'm not sure my very old and rickety wood coop will survive being taken apart regularly until the mites are gone.

Why are the plastic coops so very expensive? (or why don't I earn megabucks to afford one?)!

moomoos42

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 17:51 »
Thanks everyone, I think i'm winning the war! I've just been spraying one day and dusting the next, any wet bedding (from broken soft eggs, we have exbats) i remove, and burn and i'm leaving the roof up during the day to keep it cooler. The Gal's are now going to bed in the coop again, which is a good sign :D
I've only seen dead mites for over a week now!
Funny, Practical Poultry had an extensive article on red mites this month, but their solution cost £80 for 500ml, so i don't think i'll try it :nowink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 21:21 »
if anybody is going to jetwash their coops make sure you do so well away from where your chickens live - redmites can live for many months without feeding and will simply climb back up into the coop.
Staffies are softer than you think.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 13:52 »
Thanks for the tip Joyful.  :)

Spent all day cleaning the coop and the girls are installed in their big plastic box/coop with a smaller plastic nest box. Still got mites on the perch this morning but far far less.

The big box being used as a coop is like the one in the link but bigger and was £30 if anyone's interested. I drilled ventilation holes just under the lid and two holes at either end to slide a perch through.

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storage-shelving/home-storage/boxes___baskets/-specificproducttype-boxes/B-and-Q-Core-Storage-Packer-Grey-Lid-Large-9796472

xx
advice re chicken mites

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 06:10
by karlooben
xx
Mites + Poorly Chicken (advice on warmth + prevention)

Started by pookey on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 19:25
by pookey
xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Cat or dog flea drops

Started by cammi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 12:46
by AL Hathaway

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 29 queries.