really small eggs

• 7 Replies

adi

really small eggs
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:50 »
I have recently introduced 2 new chickens, 1 light sussex and one blubell. I'm not so familiar with the bluebell breed but they were all living happily together at the farm so i thought i'd get one. It layed its first egg the other day and it was tiny, then 2 more since and these are even smaller, about the size of a creme egg, the new ones, not the big ones we had when we were kids. Is this normal and will they get bigger or is this the size i should expect? I might add its not a bantam and the warrens i originally had layed full size eggs from day one. thanks for any advice. Adi.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: really small eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:44 »
I'm sure someone.with experience will be along soon to reassure you, but is probably just because she is a youngster. If you weigh the egg or take a photo it may help.

You say they are the size of the small new cream eggs, do you mean the tiny ones you get in a bag? If so, they may not have yolks in them.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:23 »
It's quite normal for POL hens to lay small eggs, some may even be soft shelled , when they first start laying so don't worry, they'll soon get ino the swing of things.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 15:20 »
My warren girls where the same when they started laying but thier eggs are bigger now. i suppose we get used to supermarket eggs, all the same size and colour but as mine free range all day they can be different from day to day.So as long as they are laying they will sort themselves out so just enjoy the tastey eggs mmm :) :)
Pull up a perch!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 20:46 »
It's quite normal for POL hens to lay small eggs, some may even be soft shelled , when they first start laying so don't worry, they'll soon get ino the swing of things.
Ditto

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:22 »
The average size for an egg is about 55g (not the 75g+ monsters you see in the supermarket!)

Pullets will start laying small eggs, from about 30g, and they will slowly increase in size until they produce "full size" eggs in their second season.

adi

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 20:58 »
thanks for that at least i know they will get bigger now.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 14:21 »
We had a pullet sized egg from an established layer of good sized eggs today. Think she may be moulting though, there ae a few of her feathers around the place.

xx
why are these eggs so small ? NOT wind eggs

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 13:42
by Henlady
xx
small eggs

Started by henkeeper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 12:18
by bantam novice
xx
small eggs

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 15:00
by joyfull
xx
small eggs

Started by Neil Doncaster on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 18:27
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 29 queries.