why are these eggs so small ? NOT wind eggs

• 3 Replies

chooksbury

why are these eggs so small ? NOT wind eggs
« on: May 13, 2010, 16:20 »
 ???   I have amongst my girls, two youngsters who are now 26 weeks.  They started laying at 20 weeks, but the eggs are weeny .. under 50g compared to my burford browns which average 68g.  The newer girls are cross plymouth rock/maran.  Will their eggs always stay so weeny or will the size increase ? 

TeaPots

Re: why are these eggs so small ? NOT wind eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 17:19 »
when they 1st start to lay, the eggs are PULLET eggs and are at their smallest. They will gradually increase in size, and should be the size they are goiung to be by the end ond of their 1st season/start of their 2nd season.

Random crosses, even of large fowl birds, can have strange results, including tiny bantie chooks/eggs.

chooksbury

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:41 »
Thank you I feel much better.  I guess I got lucky with Lucy and Matilda .. they started with 54g average eggs, but within a fortnight they were up to the mid 60g .. and now go 60 - 70.  The younger girls have been laying since 8 weeks ago (Iv had them 10 weeks) so I guess it should come up.  One was behaving oddly yesterday though .. sat on the other girls eggs and wouldnt move.  I think she was brooding them.  Will keep an eye on her.  Ah the joys !

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 13:42 »
My four girls are laying pretty regularly now but the sizes vary I can get a tiny 35gm egg and a 90 gm one on the same day from different birds.  I'm just glad that the soft shell layer I had seems to have sorted herself out so I don't mind too much about the sizes.   Only now I have one hen who seems to have gone broody, she was sat on the nest box when I got home last night and I got 2 eggs out from under her (not both hers) and she was still there when I locked them up for the night and this morning I pushed her out but she was back within 30 minutes.

xx
really small eggs

Started by adi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 14:21
by tosca100
xx
small eggs

Started by henkeeper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 12:18
by bantam novice
xx
small eggs

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 15:00
by joyfull
xx
small eggs

Started by Neil Doncaster on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 18:27
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.582 seconds with 30 queries.