French bean long shot

• 25 Replies

Growster...

Re: French bean long shot
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 17:38 »
Can you get them going in paper pots Stratts?

They may get a few days saved if you can put them in a greenhouse, or even inside.

And also, if you can cloche them as wel when you plant them out, that will save you a few days as well!

I'd go for it, in fact I would even try them myself, except that neither of us like 'em very much...

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 17:40 »
I'd go for it, in fact I would even try them myself, except that neither of us like 'em very much...
  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 17:44 »
have you tried homegrown ones, Growster? They're nothing like the shop ones, or even dare I say it - s/m frozen ones  :ohmy:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 17:49 »
I have to agree with Mum, Growster. 

I didn't used to eat French beans from the supermarket and in fact they were known as squeaky beans in our house because I couldn't stand how they squeaked on your teeth when eaten! 

Having grown my own (blauhilde climbing this year which have been fab) I am now a convert. 

Clearly the journey from Kenya doesn't do supermarket french beans much good!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 17:50 »
  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Have I hit on the 'French Bean Appreciation Society' with that comment, I wonder...

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 17:52 »
have you tried homegrown ones, Growster? They're nothing like the shop ones, or even dare I say it - s/m frozen ones  :ohmy:
I did grow some a few years ago Mum, and because they came along when there's so much else around, they didn't get much of a chance!

We're even beginning to look a bit green ourselves from eating a pound of runners a day each, and another green bean-feast might just make life intolerable...;0(

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 17:56 »

I didn't used to eat French beans from the supermarket and in fact they were known as squeaky beans in our house because I couldn't stand how they squeaked on your teeth when eaten! 

Having grown my own (blauhilde climbing this year which have been fab) I am now a convert. 

I really have to catch Mrs Growster in a good mood Angela - I won the battle for Kohl Rabi, celeriac, salsify and swede, but the skirmish over French Beans is a potential loser I'm afraid!

You describe the French Bean eating scenario exactly as she remembers them the last time we had some on the old Plot back in the eighties...

snowdrops

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 18:51 »

My children used to call then squeeky beans & loved them because of it. :happy:They were'nt keen on runner beans until we called them fighting up beans & then they loved them too. Never did re name sprouts successfully though :unsure:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 20:48 »

My children used to call then squeeky beans & loved them because of it. :happy:They were'nt keen on runner beans until we called them fighting up beans & then they loved them too. Never did re name sprouts successfully though :unsure:

Early days for me (mine are 3 and 4) but I have convinced mine that eating vegetables (esp from the lottie) makes your eyes sparkly.  They munch down everything after asking if their eyes are sparkly!!!! :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 20:51 »
Snows, I'll put you up against Mrs G on this one - i'm getting the big heave-ho on French beans I'm afraid!

Other things French....

Oooh la la...;0)

snowdrops

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 03:12 »
Just goes to show how different we all are.

xx
Long shot but can anyone tell me the variety of apple

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 16:25
by Beetroot Queen
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
French Bean problem

Started by Ashurstman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 07:22
by AnneB
xx
French bean seeds

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2020, 16:05
by Russell Atterbury

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 30 queries.