Leggy plum tree!

• 9 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Leggy plum tree!
« on: August 09, 2012, 23:08 »
I planted a Victoria plum bareroot early last winter. Was around 6 foot in height. It's taken fine but over the summer its growth at the top has been so leggy that the main stem is hanging way over horizontally. I can't tie it to anything as its too tall. Should I leave it? Or will leaving it make it grow all squint? And therefore should I lop a bit off the main stem?

Thx

sarajane

Re: Leggy plum tree!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:34 »
It sounds like it needs a bit of training but now is not the time of year as your tree could develop silver leaf disease.  Wait until the early spring before you do any pruning.

There's lots of info on line how to prune :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:02 »
I think that you would get away with pruning still at this time in the year, as the tree is still in full leaf.

You need to decide what shape you want your tree. If is free standing then a bowl shape is easiest to manage. With or without a main trunk up the middle.

Mark with coloured wool which branches you want to keep, and then cut all other new growths down to about two leaves: you'll be able to see the shape of the tree a bit better.

It fruits on older growtht, and this will allow any fruiting buds to ripen fully for next season.

Without the weight of the extra growth,you might find the centre trunk straightens up a bit. If not you could try pulling it upring the tying it with a guy rope. Put something like a bit of old rag round the trunk to protect the wood from rubbing by the rop if you do this.

Hope that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:16 »
I am a bit confused and hope that I have not damaged mine. Just gave mine a good prune yesterday as I thought you weren't supposed to prune later in the year. I was going by the RHS advice which said mid summer (I know marginally late - but allowing for the odd weather) for established trees and spring for young ones. ???

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=339#section2

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:19 »
I am a bit confused and hope that I have not damaged mine. Just gave mine a good prune yesterday as I thought you weren't supposed to prune later in the year. I was going by the RHS advice which said mid summer (I know marginally late - but allowing for the odd weather) for established trees and spring for young ones. ???

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=339#section2

It should be just fine - OK up to mid September in the South

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 20:26 »
Thanks Sunshineband :)

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 00:00 »
Thx for the great advice folks. It certainly looks like it needs a wee haircut, I'll get the clippers out tomorrow, after I do some more reading...

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 02:21 »
I think that you would get away with pruning still at this time in the year, as the tree is still in full leaf.

I do too... Hope so as I've just given my two a slight hair-cut!!  :ohmy:  ::)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mobilekat

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 08:31 »
I frequently attack our plum tree at various times during the summer, and seem to get away with it- otherwise too much energy is going into new growth (else it goes so mad that I cant move around it!)

This year is the worst year for plums though- we had heavy rain just as the blossom was setting and most was washed off.
The plus side is I havent had to spend time thinning the fruits out, as neglected to do this one year at had branches being ripped off under the weight of fruit!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 10:12 »
The largest of my two plum trees is supporting the world's country's aphid population! Sticky and curled new leaf growth.
More trimming?  :unsure:

xx
Old plum tree

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 17:10
by Elm street
xx
My plum tree

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 18:00
by Yorkie
xx
Plum tree

Started by Wilf on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 26, 2021, 20:26
by Wilf
xx
Plum Tree

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 00:09
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 29 queries.