Stevia rebaudiana

• 5 Replies

Swing Swang

Stevia rebaudiana
« on: August 10, 2012, 21:51 »
Has anybody here grown/processed/used stevia?

Your experiences and comments sought.

Many thanks

SS

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Stevia rebaudiana
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 21:54 »
No, but I've been thinking about it!

After seeing the adverts for the Truvia and Purevia sweeteners, I thought perhaps I could grow my own sweetener!  But the other week I bought a packet of PureVia when it was half price, and its revolting!

But I'm not sure what you'd have to do to get the sweetening out of the plant.  Can't be as easy as sticking a leaf in your cuppa!!!!   :lol: :lol:

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 22:35 »
I have been growing it since before the products came out. The seeds can be difficult to get going, apparently the darker the seed the better the chance of germination. Not used it in cooking yet, I think you can use the fresh leaves as a sweetener. To be honest the very young leaves taste better than the older ones - which develop a strange after taste. Not sure I will bother again. And the slugs love them. I believe that if you are diabetic you can use this leaf without it raising the blood sugar levels. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 23:18 »
After seeing the adverts for the Truvia and Purevia sweeteners, I thought perhaps I could grow my own sweetener!  But the other week I bought a packet of PureVia when it was half price, and its revolting!

I didn't mind the taste but it did give me a gripey tummy after a few days, so I stopped using it.
That must be why it's half price  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 15:44 »

I didn't mind the taste but it did give me a gripey tummy after a few days, so I stopped using it.
That must be why it's half price  :lol:

At least I didn't get the tummy MoS, but I know I prefer the taste of the aspartame swettener to the Via one!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:12 »
Bought the seeds earlier this year, just didn't get around to doing anything with them.....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Wasabi and stevia - anyone grown it?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 06:55
by New shoot

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 38 queries.