8th August...

• 40 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: 8th August...
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 16:31 »
I do have runners and a few courgettes, but certainly not the usual glut. Tomatoes are slowly ripening>Like you MoS, it is corn that is slow.... no sign of any cobs forming yet.

Rather than eat runners every meal as we usually do for the first couple of weeks of them, I have frozen a few pounds in case they suddenly stop producing

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Benandbill

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 21:05 »
Geronimoooo!!!!  Just got back from the plot and I have A runner bean.  It's a start  :lol:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 21:14 »
hoping for 2 courgettes tomorrow. ;)
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 21:22 »
Managed to get OH his first handful of beans on Tuesday and the Courgettes - well didn't think they were going to do anything but they have gone to marrow .  And so many (sorry  ;) ) I'm going have to make Courgette chocolate cake and may be some muffins.  Wish the toms would go red - got loads of them in the green house.  I don't grow them outside after I lost 24 plants in one go due to blight.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

LilacSandy

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 09:15 »
Picked two 'Crystal Lemon' Cucumber on the plot, all indoor cucumbers died.  Finally got carrots yesterday.  Meal last night had my potatoes, broad beans, runner beans, carrot, onion and the garlic on the chicken, only had to add frozen peas.  Tonight will be all my own salad, including the peppers but no ripe tomatoes as yet.

I am hand pollinating all the Peppers and Chile's but I think I will have a good harvest undercover.  Have successfully pollinated my first two Melons this year so they are also looking good.

Will have some of everything, except sweet corn, but not the gluts to fill the freezers like last year, however the second sowing of Broad Beans is flowering well and the parsnips are bounding ahead, some of them I could pull now, but fortunately most are at the right stage of growth,  I have loads of leaks but they will all be small

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 13:21 »
My Super Chillis are storming away, but then they always do regardless of weather. I've got red chillis on them and dozens of green. The habanero are only just thinking about flowers :)

I've had a steady crop of courgettes for weeks now from my Parthenon.  The outside courgettes have only just started holding onto the fruit as opposed to them rotting and dropping off, but they're cropping well now. I've had a huge crop of mange tout, just finishing now, not too many garden peas, and they're late because I had seed disaster with my local plague of mice, but they are swelling up nicely now. The French beans are just starting to form beans, again they're late but looking like triffids. And the runner beans have suddenly sprouted dozens of pods, some of which are just about big enough to pick; although later it's a much better crop than I had last year. The sweet peppers and aubergines are doing very well in my tunnel, and I've started picking Gartenperle tomatoes in the last week, again very late for them. I've been eating calabrese, carrots, chard, beet, kohlrabi, kale, lettuce, spring onion, cucumber for weeks.

It's been a difficult year for weather, and a lot of my crops are later than normal, but I have to say it's been a much better year for me than I had last year. The outside tomato crop is much smaller than usual and not even thinking about turning red yet, apart from Gartenperle, but other than that it's been a good year for me so far.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 16:35 »
I knew I'd pay for saying that. I just found blight in my outdoor bush tomatoes :)

I pulled up one that had signs in the main stem and cut anything that looked infected off the rest. Maybe I'll get some ripe toms from them, and they are trying to turn red now, but it wasn't much of a crop anyway. Fingers crossed it doesn't get my toms in the tunnel.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 08:11 »
First courgette spotted on one of the plants yesterday. It may be a pickable size today if the sun continues to shine.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Paul Plots

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 10:10 »
First courgette spotted on one of the plants yesterday. It may be a pickable size today if the sun continues to shine.

Courgettes here:-
  • quantity = 1  ???
  • size = 10+  :blink:

Are the round types still edible when they reach "softball" size? We'll soon see this evening.

Note to me: Check more frequently - despite expectations they are growing!  :happy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 13:39 »
I eat them all sizes and they always taste nice to me. If they're very big the skin gets a bit tougher and they might be a bit seedy in the middle, but that's all. They often get away from me because they do seem to go from tiny to very big overnight sometimes.

Growster...

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 20:38 »
I eat them all sizes and they always taste nice to me. If they're very big the skin gets a bit tougher and they might be a bit seedy in the middle, but that's all. They often get away from me because they do seem to go from tiny to very big overnight sometimes.

Perfect size for eating raw Shokks!

Shave them with a spud basher, and add a bit of oil and balsamic etc...

I'm hooked this year!

clip
All's well in August.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 23:28
by mrsbean
xx
What to sow in late August?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 22:13
by Candide
xx
What do you plant in August?

Started by khelashi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 13:40
by arugula
xx
It's August on Saturday and ...

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 08:58
by viettaclark

Page created in 1.349 seconds with 37 queries.