Benandbill

8th August...
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:05 »
... and I still haven't seen a single runner bean on our site  :(

thestens

• Experienced Member
Re: 8th August...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:16 »
I know what you mean got two wigwams with lots of flowers( two different varieties) but no beans set yet. My dad ( in Nottingham) has straggly plants on his frame with flowers but no beans. ts been a funny old growing year.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Debz

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40 »
I haven't had a courgette this year either and by this time last year, my plants were starting to run out.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:42 »
I haven't had a courgette this year either and by this time last year, my plants were starting to run out.

I was begging people to take my courgettes last year - not a one so far - and even though I have given the plants a second chance it looks as if this year is a washout.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50 »
Picked my first courgette yesterday after a couple of months of serious battling against slugs and low temperatures.

Runner beans setting well now but like the courgettes were set back by the cold. I've only picked a few so far - they always seem to drop the first flowers (this might sound a bit daft but it seems to take a while for word to spread around the local bee population that they are worth visiting!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jmc1949

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:59 »

I was begging people to take my courgettes last year - not a one so far - and even though I have given the plants a second chance it looks as if this year is a washout.

I've had quite a few courgettes but not as many as last year but my runner beans are only just flowering.  My tomatoes are also way behind.

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07 »
When i looked on Monday I had one mini courgette and runner beans of about 1 inch long.
Here's hoping.

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 10:38 »
Runners have finally had a growth spurt in the last week and flowers seem to be setting OK.  Plants look less dense than last year but I'll be happy with anything.  French beans on the right are ahead of the runners and I've been picking them for the last week.

I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:30 »
Everything seems slow this year apart from the grass, the weeds and GB cycling team.  :blink:

I've cut one courgette and two bagfuls of beans - runners and french climbers. For a change no one here is complaining that there are too many.  ;)

Tomatoes = not one from the greenhouse yet but my parents have been eating them from their conservatory for a couple of weeks or more.

Indoor gardening might catch on next year.  :ohmy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ryetek

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45 »
I also have two wigwams full of flowers but no beans yet.

We have our first courgette however.

Our peas seem to be taking ages to fill out this year too (or maybe I'm just too impatient)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:49 »
I'm picking loads of runner beans now but I usually start picking in mid July.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 13:55 »
A very healthy looking crop there Aunt Sally.  :)

Good to see the Munty frame doing its job so well.

Like yours my beans were late cropping but worth waiting for.  :happy:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 14:20 »
Oooh they look lovely Aunt Sally!  ;)  I have just started picking my runners, and have had about 6 courgettes so far.  Broad beans and my saved Alderman peas doing well too, although coming to the end now

Willow_Warren

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 14:36 »
I've had two to three bowl (cereal/desert sized, not mixing) fulls of sungold tomatoes (from 8 plants), nothing from my others though (although they were started off at least 6 weeks later).

I've had about 3-4kgs of courgettes from 4 plants, 12 individual courgettes maybe, I'm harvesting thick and fast now!

My runners look dense and with lots of flowers but only spindly little beans so far!  I'm still hopefull of a crop.  They (or at least one of the plants) reached the top of the 8ft canes at the weekend (pinched out).  Would be nice to be picking them now.

My sweet peppers are very small, but I started them off late and they've had to cope with being outside as I don't have a green house!

It's my first year of growing all of these things so I've nothing to compare to, thus happy with the results I have got - looking forward to next year with a list of what I'm going to repeat and what I'm going to do new, a list of mistakes not to make again (lol).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 15:09 »
I've just started picking runners and I'm doing alright for courgettes ;)

The thing that's really late for me is the sweetcorn  :( I've looked through my old notebooks and I'm usually picking in the first week of August - I think I'll be lucky to get any cobs this year, as pollination doesn't look good :unsure:

clip
All's well in August.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 23:28
by mrsbean
xx
It's August on Saturday and ...

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 08:58
by viettaclark
xx
What to sow in late August?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 22:13
by Candide
xx
What do you plant in August?

Started by khelashi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 13:40
by arugula

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 38 queries.