8th August...

• 40 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Re: 8th August...
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 15:17 »
rubbish year so far. Only three of my peas even germinated, and are still only a few inch tall (expensive packet as well!) only just getting first french beans. Beetroot and onions far smaller than should be, seems the only success ive had is the 'fly resistant carrots', either they really are resistant or the flies couldnt be bothered this year and have gone somewhere better
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

hamstergbert

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 17:02 »
Runner beans just in flower here too, biggest bean pod only an inch or so long currently.

After a really slow start, the courgette fairy waved her wand a week or so ago and all are cropping now, perhaps not as prolifically as other years but steady enough.  I did however notice a few 'double yolkers' ie where what is presumably two female flowers crop as a single fruit with a figure 8 cross-section.   At first thought it might be the variety but it happened with greens and yellows too so perhaps there is another factor at work.  Any boffins out there got any suggestions or is it just coincidence.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Benandbill

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 19:34 »
Yes mumofstig pollination (lack of) seems to be an ongoing topic of convo on our site, also v/interested to hear I'm not alone in having a lack of runner beans.  From what I've read on this post so far, they've just started coming in the last couple of weeks elsewhere in the country so that's something to be hopeful about and a very mixed bunch of courgette experiences!! 

I've actually only got one courgette that's big enought to pick from 2 decent sized plants, the other 3 I palnted a few weeks after and although, mercifully, they have not yet been eaten by slugs, and they're starting to flower, they don't seem to have grown at all in the last 3 weeks or so and I'm not expecting any fruit  :(

fatcat1955

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 19:35 »
Picked my 3rd carrier bag full of White Lady runner's tonight, Best havest of spud's and onion's i have ever had. Courgettes not that many but look's like they are getting there. Tom's outside  lost the lot  Tom,s inside going great. French bean's are iffy to say the least.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 19:37 by fatcat1955 »

Benandbill

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 19:40 »
fatcat1955 are you a) Lying b) Showing off c) going to share all your gardening secrets with us?

Actually, onion wise I can't complain, I have some of the finest on our site and the biggest I've ever seen so it aint all doom and gloom  ;)

LilacSandy

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 20:00 »
All my onions came good this year, however over 3/4 of them started to bolt so they will not keep.

Garlic was a good crop, however I did put in about 100 bulbs, and there will be enough large ones to plant this autumn for next years crop.

Not one ripe tomato yet, and the peppers are a wash out but I have hopes for the chillies.

I have just polinated a female melon flower and am hoping that I may get at least one fruit this year.  No figs, no apples, no cherries and the plums look a very thin crop.

Broad Beans were great and the second sowing is flowing well, peas were ok but nothing to write home about.  Carrots are just starting to make a showing.  Parsnips look great this year at last, leeks are quite small but we will see what happens later.

Never could grow cauliflower so no change there then, cabbage may be OK later. Pretty mixed bag all in all.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 21:06 »
Its been a difficult year  maybe 5-6 courgets few bowl fulls of white lady from the polytunnel and the same with toms although the blight has started to hit them outside the purple podded beans are just starting , cabbages seem to be doing well as are the onions from sets the ones from seed are just golf ball sized . not sure on the main crop pots as they are still in the ground after being hit with blight the Pink firs seem to have done the best from the earlies
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 21:16 »
Onions all failed, especially the ones (sets), planted last year, they were dreadful! Same for shallots, and onions from seed, so its back to the drawing board next year!

Somehow, after a serious weeding, the peas are all picking up and beginning to re-surface. This is unknown Chez Growster! Carrots are growing still under Fort Knox netting, but Mrs G spied a 'channel' in one just this evening, so watch it!

Charlotte spuds have rocketed away, which is nice because the first earlies (Sharpes Express), were pretty feeble, and boiled to mush in about a few minutes.

Courgettes growing absolutely barmy with about five a day, but as HamsterGbert mentioned, two of the plants (from ten) are 'odd' with a double stem, and huge leaves and fruit - not to mention loads of male flowers with a few lucky females getting all the attention...! Even the squash, which have sulked up to now, have taken off, and we even think we might get a few this year too, but let's not get too excited shall we!

Too many runner beans, and giving them away now, and broads just flowering for a third flush hopefully.

Its been such an odd year, we've gambled on it becoming even sillier, and have sown more peas, carrots, broad beans and kohl rabi... Toms still green, cuces going bonkers, so the dog will be happy!

Never known a year like it, but the maxim is always - some you win, some you lose!

fatcat1955

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 21:52 »
Look's like i'm not the only one!!!!!!!!!

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 22:29 »
Don't like to brag but I've picked .........ONE ...... runner bean so far this year.  Plenty of flowers so fingers crossed!

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 01:56 »
And onwards to the 9th August... wishing everyone some bit of success somewhere along the way... after all the summer's not over yet.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 03:21 »
2 meals from the beans just starting. 1st courgette more coming at last yeah :D

Loads of beetroot though filled 3lb jars and just pulled 2lb more and 40 onions mixed sizes.
huauzontle cropping well too.

carrots good size digging up for 3 weeks leeks huge already and j artichoke 5' tall.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

ryetek

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 08:22 »
And onwards to the 9th August... wishing everyone some bit of success somewhere along the way... after all the summer's not over yet.  ;)
That's a good point actually. Here's hoping it's just a late harvest?

madcat

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 09:29 »
I hope so ...  I really do.   :unsure:

We should get our first picking of beans this weekend :), but the courgettes and marrows are still tiny.  I should be overwhelmed by now.  :(  Lots of leaf on the tomatoes but the fruit just isn't setting or swelling.  Shallots and garlic and turnips and soft fruit (excluding strawbs) good.   :) Onions and cabbages finally doing well, early peas cropped out and the few mange tout that survived the slugs are cropping.  The potatoes all got blight.  Tops off a fortnight ago and we will start lifting this weekend to dry. Here's hoping for a dry weekend.  8)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sarajane

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 16:13 »
Sorry but ours are coming along a treat  .....  todays crop about 4LB
BILD0928.JPG

clip
All's well in August.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 23:28
by mrsbean
xx
It's August on Saturday and ...

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 08:58
by viettaclark
xx
What to sow in late August?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 22:13
by Candide
xx
What do you plant in August?

Started by khelashi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 13:40
by arugula

Page created in 0.96 seconds with 37 queries.