Newbie needs advice

• 6 Replies

kyz1981

Newbie needs advice
« on: August 04, 2012, 21:52 »
I have recently got 6 growers from the same breeder on Monday, They all looked healthy but on closer inspection one of my little Cochins has feather loss under her wings its not apparent anywhere else she has a lovely fluffy bum- she looks like a plucked chicken with bumpy bits and white bits- no blood or wounds. I can see the white stems of her body feathers.

She is bossy and eating and drinking and is the bravest of the bunch, and the smallest.

I have rubbed her down with Mite killer - but I have seen no symptoms on my other girls. I thought maybe she could have been previously hen pecked but I have not seen any feathers in the run or house, I did catch one of them eating a feather that had been preened, but not seen any evidence of plucking.

They are on growers, I have been adding meal worms in the afternoon as a treat  and Have tonic in the water to help them adjust to the move.

I am unsure if I should be doing anything else I think she is between 14-16 weeks old.

I will try and take a picture tomorrow to see if it gives any more insight.

Thanks in advance

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Newbie needs advice
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 22:05 »
Welcome to the site kyz1981.

Have a look at this link which shows a close up of some mites for you to compare with your hen.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

Young hens do loose their chick feathers at different rates and some of the feather pecking and eating goes on late at night and early morning.  It could just be her new feathers coming through.  Always best to check though and keep on top of any potential problems.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

kyz1981

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 21:17 »
Hi Thanks for getting back to me I have tried to take some pictures of her and have managed here, this is  1 of Marli the Cochin but there are a few more of different views.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84313085@N04/7719333048/in/photostream

I noticed that my  Araucana has lost a bit out of one of her tail fetahers and also my Welsummer looks like something has had a bite out of her feathers on one side and her tail ( tried to take a pic but hard to see).

I have dusted them all with Battles Red mite powder used DE in the house and in the areas of the garden that they like to dust bathe in, I also sprayed them especially the tails with Johnson's anti peck spray. I had a look on Marli and I could not see anything moving but i am not sure what to look for, it seems to be the fluffy feathers that are going, I saw 2 under the roosting bars this morning but she does look better than when I got her on monday when she looked like a raw chicken,  :(

They are on Layers Pellets have the run of pretty much 50sq ft of garden from 7am until they go to bed, I have stopped giving them corn and I am giving them meal worms instead to up the protein, I am using ACV, Garlic and Grapefruit seed extract in the water as they were all sneezing a little- this has pretty much stopped now.

They were all purchased from the same place and were all vaxed.

Next door have about 20 chickens, 2 Guinea fowl and ferrets, dogs and pigs so our garden is prone to flys, fleas and other nasties.

Any advice of thoughts greatly received.

kyz1981

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 21:44 »
Sorry they are on growers not layer pellets.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:44 »
I can't see anything nasty in the photos.  It could just be feather pecking but it is hard to stop them enough to let their new feathers grow.  I don't know if they molt when they are so young but that might be another thing to consider.  A little purple spray may help disguise the fleshy parts.

I have a Black Rock that has had a baldy bum since her molt after the winter.  I have tried everything but it makes no difference.  When you speak to other poultry keepers this is not uncommon.  You are doing the right things so as long as they are healthy try not to worry too much.   ;)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 19:23 »
They usually re-feather at the next moult if they have lost feathers  in between moults. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 21:37 »
They usually re-feather at the next moult if they have lost feathers  in between moults. :)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Sassy, I'm learning all the time.   ;)

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
newbie advice please

Started by me4243 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 13:59
by stan deakin
xx
Newbie needs advice!

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 08:32
by Dannii
xx
Newbie-advice please?

Started by bizkaz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 13:37
by Bodger

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 31 queries.