Newbie-advice please?

• 2 Replies

bizkaz

Newbie-advice please?
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:35 »
Hi, been searching the net and have not found the answer I need-maybe someone here could help?
I have two Golden partridge pekin bantams, I hatched them myself back at the beginning of the summer. Beautiful girls, they have the run of the garden (along with two rabbits and occasional re-cooperating ducks/chickens from my work). They are fed layers pellets-a hopper in their coup for them to eat as they choose (they usually only go back in at dusk), and I treat them to a hand full of corn when i go in the garden. Now my question----no eggs? not one-husband very peeved they are not earning their keep!! WHY WHY WHY. What am I doing wrong? I would have expected eggs a long time ago. I hatched some ducks just before these and they have started laying.
Any advice greatly received.
Karen :D
karen

Vember

Newbie-advice please?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:45 »
Hi bizkaz

Welcome to the Hen House

As a rule hens start laying at about 20 ish weeks, although it can take a lot longer for pure breeds anything from 26 weeks.
Also daylight hours affect laying in birds more so the pure breeds so you may find that they don't start to lay now until spring :?
 You don't mention grit or oyster shell in your post? They do need this to help produce the eggs and I keep it down at all times - although I would think that it's got more to do with the dark nights that you've got no eggies :)

Sarah

Bodger

Newbie-advice please?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 13:37 »
Pekins are really a fancy fowl and are not known or usually kept for their prowess as layers. You will get some eventually but you need to make the most of them. :D

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Newbie Needs Advice

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:34
by kyz1981
xx
Newbie needs advice!

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 08:32
by Dannii
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by newbie chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 10:08
by andreadon

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 30 queries.