Can you make chillis hotter by drying them?

• 23 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Can you make chillis hotter by drying them?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 09:45 »
I was given this some time ago..

Olive Oil 250ml
5-10 Finely Chopped Fresh Chillies
1-2 Whole Chillies

Warm the oil gently and add the finely chopped chillies, the more you add the hotter.

Gently cook the chillies for about 15 minutes in the warm oilfor about 5 min to kill off any bacteria.. Add some Garlic as a variation..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Turnba

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 09:51 »
My chillis are a dwarf variety, but I didn't expect such dwarf fruits! There are many little red buttons on the plant, only about 1cm long. But there are 'normal' looking ones too that are still green and should ripen soon. I think I'll have to use about 2 dozen of the little ones at a time  ???

As for chilli oil, it's dead easy. Dry them out, slit them a bit to let the oil get right through them, and stick a whole load in a bottle of olive oil (don't be shy about packing a good few in there). Every so often invert the bottle a few times to mix things up and start using it after a few months. Do two bottles and 'forget' about one of them. It will taste amazing! Also good to put a little bit in salad dressings to give some background nip.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 15:31 »
re: chilli oil, I prefer to use groundnut (peanut) oil as the start point as it has very little flavour of its own so the chilli taste is cleaner... include the seeds of the chillies to get the best taste.

My chillis are great this year. The apache chilli has maybe 100 chillis on it - admittedly some are quite small, but most are 2-3cm long. The red ones are hot! And today I found out to my cost (yet again) that the larger green ones are also hot as I ate one straight off the plant to see if it was or not!! The gusto purple have less heat, but are a beautiful colour and a neat, attractive plant. And my red habanero chilli has 20-25 small green peppers, which I guess need a little longer to ripen.

LilacSandy

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 17:52 »
I used some seeds from Lardmans Seed parcel labeled Whippets Tail.  The plant is now about 5' high and covered in 12" long peppers.

Has anyone grown these, are they hot?

balfie

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 21:18 »
Probably a bit late now, but for next time, you can make a chilli plant produce hotter chillis by stressing it.  Keep it on the dry side, let it get a bit droopy, will make the chillis hotter.

;)

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 09:38 »
Probably a bit late now, but for next time, you can make a chilli plant produce hotter chillis by stressing it.  Keep it on the dry side, let it get a bit droopy, will make the chillis hotter.

;)

OK. But at what stage within the growing process would you do this? All the time? Flowering? First signs of fruit? Or when fruit are a red colour? Thanks.

Turnba

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 09:56 »
Stressing them sounds like a good hint. I've been wrapping mine in cotton wool all year, I tasted one of the chillis last night to see the outcome and...

nothing. No heat. That would be alright if there was decent flavour, but there was no flavour either. I have a bush of little red and green voids :-( If you tasted it blind you wouldn't have a clue what was in your mouth.

Turnba

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 00:44 »
Sorry, this might not be helpful, but I have to.

A mate came along to the greenhouse and I complained about the chillis being rubbish as I said here. So he whipped off the plant a slightly larger one than I took and bit into it like it was a carrot.

And then he exploded.

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 21:50 »
turnbra if you think the plant has cropped well stop water and feed and there is a good chance the chillies will heat up. with some chillie strains lets say 1 out of 9 may be mild so dont just tste one plant try a couple its not uncommen to find a chillie with no heat.

xx
Best way of drying chillis at this time of year?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 10:25
by compostqueen
xx
Which are hotter - green or red chillies?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 13:53
by Ropster
xx
Chillis - There not hot ???

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:08
by arugula
xx
What to do with my chillis

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:29
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.978 seconds with 29 queries.