117, and that's it!

• 31 Replies

Willow_Warren

Re: 117, and that's it!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 15:22 »
I picked 640g worth of sungold toms this morning, picked about 300g on Monday (I did not coune invididual tomatoes!) *yes I'm very pleased with myself*  :lol:  Some of the upper trusses do not seem to be as productive as the lower ones though, flowers are falling of without producing fruit, the growth has slowed down as well...

Just hold in there!

Goldfinger

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 20:11 »

I know one thing,

Them F1 sugar plum wotsits are coming out!  :mad:

Rubbish ain't the word! Dry, hard, woody, basicaly not fit for human consumption!  :ohmy:

F1's?? YOU CAN KEEP 'EM!!!! [insert rude rasp here  >:( ]

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 20:35 »
Well, I have 20 plants in my greenhouse and I am lucky if I have 6 tomatoes on each.  Some are ripening - but only started this week.

I fed them again today and pinched out the growing shoot as they have reached the top of the greenhouse but the most trusses I have on one plant is 4 - most only have three. 

I have a few flowers, but noticed that the top few leaves on some are tiny and distorted - not sure if this is red spider mite, aphids or something else(?)  I couldn't see anything on them. 

I am actually going to remove my shading fabric from the greenhouse - waste of time and I am sure it is holding back the tomatoes. 

On the plus side, I have loads of chillis this year  :)
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Spana

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 20:56 »
......cough, cough, not that i'm showing off or feeling smug or anything but... :D

and i've picked about 6lb already this week.  :happy: My outside stuff is rubbish tho :(

Headgardener22

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 21:52 »
My guess is that it was June that was the problem. Much less sun than usual ( the met office say 30% less than average). So maybe Spana didn't get the rain in Cornwall?

Spana

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 22:07 »
So maybe Spana didn't get the rain in Cornwall?

You must be joking :D  wettest year ever here.

Cattle had to be brought in, my seed potatoes rotted without a shoot, no carrots, beets, runners, cu's, the list is endless, all failures :(

My veg garden outside is bare apart from a few onions that are hanging on and some sweet corn that should be 4ft but is less than 2ft. What a washout. ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 22:50 »
The ones that are doing the best in the polytunnel are the moneymaker Brian asked for.  Loads of toms, none red yet, but most of the other varieties that we've had a few from had blossom end rot.

Few garden pearle are doing well though.  The only thing is, although lots of tomatoes coming along, the foliage looks c***.  They look like they've been burnt, although I'm watering from below and trying to keep the foliage dry as we have blight.  I had to chop the haulms off the few potatoes I planted from a bag that started to chit, and several of my outdoor toms are showing signs. 

I had to throw 4 away when I got back from Kent, but the others I've just taken off the affected leaves to see what happens.

viettaclark

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 00:36 »
I've done the same Grannie.
I sowed and planted out over 60 tomato plants of various types quite late because of the weatherand started getting late blight a couple of weeks ago (usually get it in September and have a good crop). Some plants in one area had to be ripped out because the bottom stems were infected but other plants just had some leaf infection so I cut it off. I was quietly confident during the mini heatwave because the spores would die and the plants are flowering profusely and just starting to set fruit.
Unfortunately, with this damp weather, I had to cut out another infected main stem of a tumbler and things are not looking good. No ready fruit at all and time is running out.......
Just one would be nice!!!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 01:48 »
finally some fruit appears to be setting nothing red though
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 16:47 »
Bit more patience Rachel.  Mine are just beginning to ripen a bit.

I just took out another Tigerella whose stem was going black, but on the bright side, another Tigerella that was a side shoot which I just stuck in another pot now has its first flowers on and is looking good! 

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 17:31 »
"Stupice" and "Siberian" are doing well outside. They are now turning from green to red on a large scale. I ate one outside "stupice" tomato so far. That was yesterday. I'm quite happy about the outcome of my experimental outside tomato setup. I expected that it wouldn't work, but they have grown quite well in nordic finland. The only disappointment so far is "subarctic plenty". They are much later than all other tomato varieties while I expected the opposite.

Inside "sweet 100" have been regularly now giving a tiny harvest. I ate around 10 now, and more and more are turning colour now. I guess I will be inundated in cherry tomatoes soon.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 20:48 »

I just took out another Tigerella whose stem was going black, but on the bright side, another Tigerella that was a side shoot which I just stuck in another pot now has its first flowers on and is looking good! 

all we need is a mild frost free October and we will catch up

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 20:52 »
"Stupice" and "Siberian" are doing well outside. They are now turning from green to red on a large scale. I ate one outside "stupice" tomato so far. That was yesterday. I'm quite happy about the outcome of my experimental outside tomato setup. I expected that it wouldn't work, but they have grown quite well in nordic finland. The only disappointment so far is "subarctic plenty". They are much later than all other tomato varieties while I expected the opposite.

Inside "sweet 100" have been regularly now giving a tiny harvest. I ate around 10 now, and more and more are turning colour now. I guess I will be inundated in cherry tomatoes soon.

I grew subarctic plenty two years ago and it was very late indeed, as well as being a bit on the watery side I thought.

Glad the others are doing well  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 23:27 »

all we need is a mild frost free October and we will catch up

Yes, a nice Indian summer and we will be inundated with toms!!!   :lol: :lol:

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 16:36 »
Summer Cider is flowering well, and has reached 6' high, but flowers wither and fall off, even if I try some gentle encouragement with a cotton bud! Black Russian, very thin and spindly, and only about 1' high, although has a few flowers on. So of the three new varieties for me, only Roma seems to be doing OK, with some small green toms forming.

Loads of flowers on the moneymaker and Alicante, but no fruit yet (but planted rather late, I think) so once again, my bush variety tomatos are the big success (sweet-n-neat yellow plants have around 100 small toms on each, just hope they ripen!)

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 37 queries.