New chickens - advice needed.

• 9 Replies

kyz1981

New chickens - advice needed.
« on: July 28, 2012, 16:12 »
I am new to chicken keeping but I am lucky enough to have recently moved to a house with a Big secure garden. I Have an omlet cube with an attached 3 meter run but plan to let them free range pretty much from 6.30 am until dusk.

I have read and been told that I am supposed to look them in the coop with a run for a week so that they know where home is, but I am getting 6 chickens a mixed flock of LF but all from the same breeder so all vaxed/wormed    - 2 of which a cochins so  big lady's, I feel really mean and cruel keeping them all in a run of 3 meters for a week (although omlet state you can fit 10 in ). They arrive on Tuesday.

What are my options to ensure happy hens and a smooth settling in period? I have some chicken netting that I could put round the run therefore increasing the size but still containing them- would this be ok for a few weeks until I can let them have the run of the garden.

And Should I worm them all when I get them, I have some Verm-X Herbal Pellets should I start them on these, but I am aware that these only help but not de-worm them fully?

Any advice gratefully received.

grinling

Re: New chickens - advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 17:13 »
Is the run 3x3m, if so should be fine. Will the cube take 4 hens and 2 large hens?
I trained mine to the shake of a corn pot.
How secure is the garden from fox and rats?

Taylor40

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 17:49 »
My lot had the run of the garden after only a couple days. The first few days I only let them out when I was around to keep an eye on them. I also used a corn pot to get them back. I went out and put them to bed but soon I was popping out to "tuck them in" and they had already sorted themselves. It's surprising how quickly they make their coop home..  :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 18:08 »
When i got my girls home i put them in the coop and run but left the door open so they could come out(which took a couple of hours) they where abit unsure for a couple of days but still came in and out, now my garden is getting hammered and they stay out all day and take themselves to bed at dusk  :nowink:
Pull up a perch!!

kegs

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 18:47 »
Welcome Kyz1981.

You could check with the breeder and ask what they were wormed with.  If in any doubt, I would worm them when you get them, especially as you are keeping them in for a while (you have to make sure they get the correct ration of pellets with worming powder on when worming so free ranging isn't allowed) and rather than Vermex use Flubenvet or you can buy pellets with it already added (by Marriages) which makes life easier.

kyz1981

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 20:10 »
Hi, I am Very lucky that I have neighbors with a trained dog they keep at the bottom of their garden that is some sort of Fox deterrent barks every time anyone ventures down there ( they have about 20 chickens that FR all day, and have never had any problems. touch wood) They also have guinea fowl and two pigs- we are also rural so I am led to believe that the foxes are slightly less of a issue than the urban ones.

I have chatted with them and I am going to put my hen house near where they keep theirs and I am pretty sure this dog barking every time there is movement down the bottom of the garden should keep the foxes out, Rats well we have traps down as I have seen a few already, but I am waiting on a friend of a friend to bring his terrier down to do some ratting for a crate of beer, but we will be taking feed in every evening to deter rats. The cube will eventually be connected to a large covered WIR 6 X12FT with free range pop hole  on concrete slabs so this should stop the rats getting in at night by tunneling under - this is still work in  progress - probably complete by early September. Rats are going to be by far my biggest problem.

The cube (house will easily hold the chickens but may get an extra nest- they say you can get 6 heavy breeds in a cube (house) but I am only having two and the rest are mainly Hybrid with the exception of the araucana.

The run is probably 3 meters by 1.2m, but I have movable netting/fencing  of 21m as I don't want all of my garden turned to mud and to keep the trampoline and kids play area poo free.

I am really chuffed to hear that you guys have not had any problems with not keeping them in for too long, I will def use the corn pot idea, and will speak to the breeder to see when they were last wormed. Thanks for the advice about the medicated pellets that will save me alot of headaches.

Just suddenly panicked seeing the run attached to the cube and it being far to small for more than a day or to at most, may use the chicken netting to extend the area for the first week before letting them completely out.

Thanks so much for the reassurance- Eeek can't wait- long time planning all of this!

grinling

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 20:53 »
Whereas my hens don't fly over the outer run area, the light weight chicks can.

kyz1981

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 21:14 »
Hi The cube run is covered but the netting is 6 ft high so hopefully that should help if they don't have a launch pad.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 08:30 »
If require wormed best to do whilst you are keeping them in so that they are eating the pellets and getting a proper ration rather than it being diluted with what they find elsewhere. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

kyz1981

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 13:30 »
Thanks have ordered some mixed with the pellets so that should help.

I have sorted the netting and that gives them 5m x 5m netted area so will keep them in this for a week or so, I have put the fencing round one of the apple trees sp just have to trim some of the lower branches tonight.

So excited.

xx
Advice needed on ill chickens

Started by foghorn leghorn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 23:10
by woodside farm
clip
Further Advice on sick Chickens needed please

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 22:02
by grinling
xx
Sick Chickens - ADVICE NEEDED

Started by johncm9999 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:50
by joyfull
xx
Chickens and allotments-advice needed please

Started by wendyg on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 22:20
by Pol

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 27 queries.