Further Advice on sick Chickens needed please

• 3 Replies

Prod

Further Advice on sick Chickens needed please
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:13 »
I bought 3 2day old cream legbars and 2 4 day old exch leghorns back in April, so they are now about 20 weeks old. They have been kept in their own fenced off area with coop. Unfortunately one of the leghorns died from an impacted crop.  The other, whilst eating and drinking, is completely lethargic, laying down all th etime with her wings outstretched, if I stand her up she seems to wobble.  However if I throw meal worms in the pen she jumps up and eats them.

The cream legbars seem small for their age and compared to my other 2 yr old legbar. Even compared to a 6 week old buff Orpington chick they seem small.   One of the legbars has got swollen 'pouches' around her eyes, one of which is shut. Again she is eating and drinking. The other legbar has a small swelling on one side of her face.  I have isolated all 3 birds and have been giving them linco spectin antibiotic in their water for about a week. They don't seem any worse  but neither do they seem better.  With the legbars I think it is sinus problems  but not sure about the leghorn.   They have all been wormed, frontlined and dusted regularyly.  I am at a loss as to what I should do next.  Any help advice greatfully accepted!!!!!    Thanks
006.JPG
007.JPG
011.JPG
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:14 by Prod »

grinling

Re: Further Advice on sick Chickens needed please
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 18:12 »
 I suggest the vet, but how did you get the antibiotics?
The leghorn might be sunbathing, mine do, but when hot tend to be under shade.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 20:26 »
No  its not sunbathing, she has been like that for a few days and is in an isolation shed.  My neighbour is a farmer and he gave me the anti biotic, he swears by it, you can add to drinking water  or 'mist' spray it on their faces.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 22:02 »
That antibiotic which is prescription only is for CRD or mycoplasma, which your chooks might not have.
Looking at bedding/flooring used, I would remove everything and burn or put in rubbish bin, clean house thoroughly and use newspaper for flooring and shredded paper for nest box, as they could be reacting to what you have. Also empty, clean and refill water and food containers. Digging over run area might help.
I would take them to a vet to be checked over, just in case there is infection.

xx
Sick Chickens - ADVICE NEEDED

Started by johncm9999 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:50
by joyfull
xx
Sick hen/I think worms/advice needed

Started by kelvinr2d2 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 18:43
by kelvinr2d2
xx
Help - advice needed with bullied and/or sick chicken

Started by The Ramblers on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 22, 2007, 08:11
by The Ramblers
xx
Urgent advice needed for sick chicken please - updated, sad news

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 09:14
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 28 queries.