Run flooring

• 8 Replies

Chippet

Run flooring
« on: July 28, 2012, 22:17 »
Hi
I'm new to the site and to chicken keeping. Got the coop and run, which is currently half made (stupid weather) and everything else except the hens :) planning on 3 hybrids.

Anyway, my query is what to have on the floor of the run as there seems to be a massive difference of opinions. We have a section of decking in the corner of the garden, which is not used, I had originally planned to lift up the decking, as there is dirt underneath, however I realised after some research it's gonna get very wet and muddy. So I thought about leaving the decking and have them live on that, but I would be worried they couldn't scratch around enough. What are people's opinions on this? They will get roughly 3 days per week free range and some evenings.

The other alternative would be to divide the decking up a bit, so some is decking, I could put some gravels down in one section, over some weed barrier, so I could hose it down, the water (and poop) would drain into the space below the deck and absorb into the ground (dont know if this would smell?) and another section, with soft bedding in such as easibed or straw, which I could just clean out weekly.

Really don't know what to do!! Please help :)

ETA; the run I bought doesn't have a roof, but I will be adding one, which will help to keep the flooring dry.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 22:27 by Chippet »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Run flooring
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:33 »
A hen's natural instinct is to scratch about, so I personally would not put them on decking.  I use bark chip over soil and hose the bark chips down weekly.  They are raked out and replaced regularly as well  :)

A roof will stop the flooring getting too muddy and sodden, but remember to add some sort of shading so the hens can get out of the sun if they want  :)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:22 »
I used hardwood chips until B&Q stopped stocking them  I'm reluctant to use bark chip because they can be prone to mould growth especially if the run is uncovered.
Currently I use horse bedding, either Hemcore or Aubiose as these are stocked by local equine centre. Some members use Miscanthus which is dust extracted chopped and ground elephant grass. These products are highly absorbent but ideally best used in a covered run.
I'm sure others will offer their advice about what works well in their set ups.
Good luck with your new adventure and welcome to the forum.

Chippet

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:47 »
Thank you both for your replies. Surely decking would be no worse than concrete, which some people seem to have?

If I put down a weed barrier and covered half the run in wood chips and hosed this down, the excess water and poop would drain beneath the decking - do you think this would smell or just get absorbed into the ground and degraded by worms etc.

Any more advice welcome, more ideas I can work on the better! :)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:51 »
Do you need a weed barrier if you have your girls to clear off any weeds that pop up - my lot, (6 hybrids) reduced my lawn to bare earth in a couple of weeks, and nothing has a chance to grow - i go through quite a lot of cabbage/veg to substitute their desire for grass.  Re the flooring, i contacted a local tree surgeon and bought 2 industrial sized bags of wood chips at a much cheaper cost to what you'd pay at the likes of B n Q.  I've covered the run in a deep wood chip, and with it being roofed, stays dry and is perfect for dust bathing, and the garden that they free range in when time allows, is also covered in a thinner layer of wood chip, and they love it....I hose it down once a week, poo pick as much as i can, and it works well for me, and the girls.  Hope this helps.

Chippet

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 11:41 »
I've covered the run in a deep wood chip, and with it being roofed, stays dry and is perfect for dust bathing, and the garden that they free range in when time allows, is also covered in a thinner layer of wood chip, and they love it....I hose it down once a week, poo pick as much as i can, and it works well for me, and the girls.  Hope this helps.

Do you find it stays very dry with the roof alone? One side of the house/run will be against a wall, but our garden is quite exposed as we live close to the coast - there is only some land and one house between us and the cliffs - so its windy. Are you in the UK? Do you get substaintial rain?

The weed barrier would simply be used to stop the wood chip (or whatever) from falling between the decks, otherwise it would all disappear over time :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:45 by Chippet »

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 14:45 »
I have three sides of my walk in run  covered with the side panels from my cloth gazebo. They have plastic windows incorporated.  I've left gaps towards the top for air circulation and I adjust them when it's sunny. During the winter I always keep the side exposed to the prevailing wind covered.
You might want to consider having some sort of barrier around the run borders to contain the wood chips as the chickens will scratch and send it flying. I've used gravel boards, others have used log roll.
Decisions, decisions.....

Chippet

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 21:08 »
Think I'm starting to form more of a plan already, the area under the house will obviously be sheltered above, but not on the sides, so I'll panel this in with some wood of some kind. The back, which will be protected by the wall and fence, but will still suffer from some elements, I'll cover in tarpaulin, with extra that I can pull over the top and attatch the the front of the run in wet weather, but leave uncovered *if* it's dry. Will the hens get hot under tarpaulin?

So it's just left the decide the flooring to put down...am leaning towards sharp sand and wood chips at the moment and I'll perhaps put some easibed down in the part well protected by the house and hopefully won't get kicked about too much due the paneling. All on top of weed barrier o stop it disappearing.

Can I hose both sand and wood chip down as needed? How quickly will it dry?

Do people think the poop will drain through the weed barrier or not? To be degraded by the worms below the deck?

Thanks all :)

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 22:25 »
I have sharp sand in the run and turn it over with the spade as and when required.
The run is covered and any rain that gets in drains away ok.

xx
Run flooring

Started by Rasco on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 14:34
by DannyBoy230
xx
flooring.

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Dickie73
xx
Flooring in run

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 20:12
by bee
xx
run flooring help!!

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 22:17
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 32 queries.