Miserable-Looking Runner Beans

• 4 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Miserable-Looking Runner Beans
« on: July 27, 2012, 16:19 »
Having planted out my runner beans a few weeks back, I was devastated to find that even though I'd protected them with cut-off plastic bottles to start them off, they'd all been eaten by voracious slugs within days!!!

I therefore had to resort the garden centre, as it was too late to start again from seed.  They looked very healthy when I put them in, but they're nowhere near as advanced as I'd expected them to be by now (or indeed, as advanced as my neighbour's plants).  I know they're not supposed to need feeding because they set their own nitrogen (I think????), but would it help to give them a bit of something to help them along?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Miserable-Looking Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 16:24 »
yes indeedy  ;) any general purpose will do, as all the rain has washed nutrients out of the soil  :(

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 16:58 »
yes  i fed mine with tomato fertilizer,,as my tommys are gone,,,,they have perked up well   im now picking a few each day

mobilekat

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 17:12 »
I have always fed my beans, and they seem to thank me for it. they have to be quite grown-up to be fixing plenty of nitrogen, so need help- especially when cropping!
Or coping with this years weather!
Also sadly plastic wont stop snails and slugs, as they just climb straight over, the only real way is slug death (I use the animal friendly stuff) oh and creeping around after dark killing slugs and snails with a well aimed trowel!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 17:30 »
Thanks everyone - I can now challenge my OH's 'they don't need feeding as they fix their own nitrogen' stance with reliably-sourced information to the contrary!!  Can't bear to see them looking so spindly and light green.  Veg feed here I come!!   ;)

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
Miserable sight.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2023, 08:29
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 30 queries.