Out damned spot(s).

• 20 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Out damned spot(s).
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 21:03 »
I use organic chicken pellets and have used 6X to great effect in the past too, plus seaweed, nettle and comfrey teas, bean trenches as well as farmyard and poultry manure (obviously - not all at the same time!)  

I stopped using artificial fertilizers when I overdosed some fruit bushes and killed the lot  years ago!  I think I now understand a lot more about plants and their nutritional needs since switching to organic methods.

I did have the blightwatch Smith period warning text messages screaming at me for a week, but just couldn't get up there to spray when it wasn't raining!  I am a little miffed as it looks like I have been unlucky - my plot neighbour hasn't been affected by blight and I know they don't spray.  The plant which sprouted from a volunteer tuber also hasn't been affected - clearly a case of Murphy's law!

I am awaiting a kit from the potato council to get it checked that it really is blight.  The earlies had been in long enough to produce a great crop, the mains were the ones that could have done with being in a bit longer as they were on the small side.  

I am waiting for the tomatoes to get blighted now, so have sprayed these.  I hadn't even seen blight until three years ago when my garden tomatoes succumbed, but now it seems almost a dead cert that we will get it  :(  

It is heart breaking pulling up tomatoes in particular and throwing away blighted fruit.

Good for you for getting to them in time.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

fatcat1955

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 23:07 »
I will carry on growing the spud's i like and put up with whatever comes my way rather than spraying a copper solution over my veg. Wiki it and see the risk's for yourselves. Harmful to fish livestock and worm's. Nuff sed.

each to their own  ;)
 at least if you're doing the spraying yourself (rather than the farmer for shop-bought ones) you know what has been applied and how many times  ;)

It may be different if you always grow enough that you don't need to buy any at all - because even organic potato growers are allowed under derogation to spray with copper based sprays in a blight year.
Yes it is so safe it is being withdrawn ;)

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 05:21 »
I use organic chicken pellets and have used 6X to great effect in the past too, plus seaweed, nettle and comfrey teas, bean trenches as well as farmyard and poultry manure (obviously - not all at the same time!)  

I stopped using artificial fertilizers when I overdosed some fruit bushes and killed the lot  years ago!  I think I now understand a lot more about plants and their nutritional needs since switching to organic methods.

I did have the blightwatch Smith period warning text messages screaming at me for a week, but just couldn't get up there to spray when it wasn't raining!  I am a little miffed as it looks like I have been unlucky - my plot neighbour hasn't been affected by blight and I know they don't spray.  The plant which sprouted from a volunteer tuber also hasn't been affected - clearly a case of Murphy's law!

I am awaiting a kit from the potato council to get it checked that it really is blight.  The earlies had been in long enough to produce a great crop, the mains were the ones that could have done with being in a bit longer as they were on the small side.  

I am waiting for the tomatoes to get blighted now, so have sprayed these.  I hadn't even seen blight until three years ago when my garden tomatoes succumbed, but now it seems almost a dead cert that we will get it  :(  

It is heart breaking pulling up tomatoes in particular and throwing away blighted fruit.

Good for you for getting to them in time.

You may not have to be disappointed Angela, there are other factors, like positioning the plants etc, but there is always the risk of a neighbour having a problem which manifests itself at the wrong time.

Toms may be OK, so keep fingers crossed - they're pretty slow this year anyway!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 10:04 »
It was the very obvious blight on my lottie tomatoes that made me have a closer look at the spuds.

Yes all blighted  ::)

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 11:45 »
I spent hours yesterday removing blighted foliage from my spuds which the day before seemed unaffected. It's amazing to me how quickly it arrived and quite how fast it's spread.  I was burning my yellowed spotted leaves.  I waited til dusk thought  8)

Only done a quarter of the crop so I shall be there later to finish the job.  I did pick some to check and they seemed fine. No smelly rotters yet  :)

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 17:32 »
I spent hours yesterday removing blighted foliage from my spuds which the day before seemed unaffected. It's amazing to me how quickly it arrived and quite how fast it's spread.  I was burning my yellowed spotted leaves.  I waited til dusk thought  8)

Only done a quarter of the crop so I shall be there later to finish the job.  I did pick some to check and they seemed fine. No smelly rotters yet  :)

Sad story CQ - sorry o see this.

Fingers crossed on 'smelly rotters' hough - that's a new one...!

Keep going, we may all get out alive yet!

xx
Help...damned weeds

Started by philD on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 20:11
by philD
xx
Damned weather

Started by Flying Cyril on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 20:26
by earthmagic fairy
xx
Damned slugs

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 09:50
by surbie100
xx
Damned blight!!!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2023, 11:43
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 32 queries.