Teeny weeny Kale

• 29 Replies

syks grower

Re: Teeny weeny Kale
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 16:26 »
The kale will have used all the food (nitrogen ) in the compost .
I would spread a good handfull of pelleted chicken manure in each container and if it works repeat each 14-28 days

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 17:55 »
I did a search on this post (hubballi Teeny) and it came up with nothing. The search on this site doesn't work properly. It happens quite a lot for me.

If you are also putting your username in the search box then you will get nothing.

You put Teeny in the search box and Hubballi in the user box.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hubballi

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 10:25 »
Ah, that's what has been happening. I have been including my username in the search. Sorry about that. At least I know now.

As for feeding them manure pellets, I think I was told some time ago that it may make the leaves more tender and prone to pests etc. I will give it a go and perhaps add blood fish and bone.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:26 by hubballi »

syks grower

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 21:15 »
It is true If plants are grown in soil adding to much nitrogen ( ie Chicken manure ) does cause soft growth which is more prone to pests.
 but if you are growing plants such as kale in containers they need lots of added nitrogen to grow. The tiny plants are due to lack of food the chickern manure gives a quick nitrogen boost to get them growing then follow with the blood fish and bone.
You are in effect straving the plants to death.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 11:12 »
did you harden up the soil after planting out? seems there is air bubble next to roots, which lead to their death eventually.

That is interesting. All my kale are doing fine except one that is planted in exactly the same bed. Maybe an air bubble is the cause. Is is curable by going out and giving it a good firm down or is the damage done? 

This is my first year growing Kale; In fact this is my first year of growing anything at this time of year. I was so proud yesterday when I cut some lovely fresh mizuma for a my husbands fig and mozarella salad  :D

hubballi

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 13:12 »
I have been feeding them through the season. Perhaps it's the fact that the soil isn't compact enough. My purple broccoli grew fantastically well from last year as I kept layering up the soil because I was moving it from a bed that needed emptying. The side effect was triffid like plants. Even now I am harvesting side shoots from it as greens to cook. Waste not :-)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 15:56 »
I went and firmed up around the ailing plant and it just fell over  :( It had no root system whatso ever. What is that about?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 17:33 »
either it rotted if your weather has been bad or it had been eaten by cabbage root fly  :(

Grubbypaws

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 17:49 »
didn’t look rotten so must me cabbage root fly. What is their life cycle?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 17:54 »
Just googled it and that is definitely the problem even though they have spent their whole life under fleece. Guess I cant grow brassicas there for a while. Is it worth using Nemasys Grow Your Own to shorten the rotation period; I am pretty pushed for space.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 21:19 »
Funny, before I got to Grubbypaws post, I was just about to suggest to Hubballi to dig up one of his plants and see if the plants have any roots - I was wondering if the problem was either vine weevil or cabbage root fly. 

I would personally look into nemasys if I were you Grubbypaws, but think they only work when the soil is warmer (April onwards).  For £5 it is worth a try definitely.

Hubballi, have you dug up any of the plants to see what the roots are doing?  Have you tested the soil?  Sometimes, if you haven't transplanted the plants in good time and they have spent too long in their modules, I have found plants do grow stunted.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

hubballi

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 14:15 »
Here we go again. More Kale this year and they are getting smaller. No sign of any pest, just not growing.

compostqueen

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26 »
I'd give up growing kale and try something easier like radishes

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

Beetroot queen

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 10:19 »
Just grow what does well for you. We all have our failures but that's half the fun.

Maybe you should buy a gardening fairy it may bring you some of that luck you don't believe in.

This post made me chuckle, seriously though what does well for you. Blow everyone else's crops play to your strengths  :lol:

xx
Teeny tiny potatoes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 12:26
by Goosegirl
xx
Really teeny tiny potatoes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2020, 13:06
by Yorkie
xx
teeny carrot seedlings

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 15:00
by noshed
xx
Rhubarb; huge leaf, teeny stem!

Started by sophiejo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:45
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 30 queries.