Teeny weeny Kale

• 29 Replies

hubballi

Teeny weeny Kale
« on: July 25, 2012, 21:53 »
I just don't understand this. I grow Kale from seed (curly and Italian) they come up ok. Get bigger. I pot them on healthy and they just get smaller and smaller to almost microscopic or stay the same size for MONTHS. I kid you not. I use good compost and keep them at the right waterings etc. I just don't understand why this strange phenomena happens. Also, they go papery at the ends (white) and whither, thin and whispy to a pathetic dead plant.

I can't think of anything else I can do to grow these things  :(

Bing

• Experienced Member
Re: Teeny weeny Kale
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 22:10 »
did you harden up the soil after planting out? seems there is air bubble next to roots, which lead to their death eventually.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 22:15 »
Do you grow on an allotment if so you may have a bad one
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 22:55 »
my curly kale was doing really well and i'd already harvested some young leaves from it. then it seemed to stop growing a couple of weeks ago. no idea why.

hubballi

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40 »
I grow in my own garden but these are in pots of new compost. Last year I planted out some Italian kale in the border and they romped away until the cabbage maggot got them  >:(

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:20 »
Good grief don't you ever stop moaning. No wonder your veg curl up and die. They've lost the will to live  :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:48 »
too wet/not enough nutrients in the compost in the pot.

hubballi

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 17:03 »
Good grief don't you ever stop moaning. No wonder your veg curl up and die. They've lost the will to live  :nowink:

I thought the whole point of this forum was to get help with issues ? Some here are clearly hostile :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 17:11 »
I don't think they're hostile per se, just really fed up with everything going wrong for you  ::)

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 19:12 »
You need to grow in the ground in a good soil and give a feed or two  compost in pots dries out to quickly and looses its nutrients within a week or two I think you need to get the basics right then the plants will grow good well drained soil with a bit of sun and warmth

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 22:20 »
Hubballi,
Please don't take this the wrong way but reading your posts just makes my day!
I just love the doom and gloom that oozes from the screen,if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all.
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

hubballi

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 10:52 »
Thanks Jud. It's nice to know I make someone happy. As for luck, I don't believe in bad or good.

As for planting in soil, next year I will give it a go when I have restructured my garden with more raised beds. The reason I grow in pots is to keep control of pests. I all the gardening books I have, they encourage even the smallest garden can grow in containers. I must say that my courgettes planted in the soil are doing very well so there must be something in it.

mobilekat

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:39 »
I have tried Kale in both pots and the ground for the last couple of years and have found the ones in the ground always seem to do better.
I think its due to a number of things, but also that whatever compost I use is never as stable to their toes as soil, and we all know how much brassicas like a good firm place to live.
Even with them staked I think compost in pots moves too much, so they wobble about and sulk.
Where as the soils treads down better and gives then the stable footing they love.
And I have found you can still get club foot in a pot of brand new compost!
I was threatening to buy some of the posh supports that you see in flower beds, but concluded that if they are happy in the soil that where they can be!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

hubballi

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 11:59 »
Still as small as my initial post. I have had them in the ground in the past and I had the same results. Bonsai !

I did a search on this post (hubballi Teeny) and it came up with nothing. The search on this site doesn't work properly. It happens quite a lot for me.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 12:21 »
There's absolutely no reason why it should not work for you and yet it does for others. I've found this with no problems.

Search>Advanced Search> Seach For "Teeny" By User "Hubballi".

There it is.

It is not the forum's fault.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Teeny tiny potatoes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 12:26
by Goosegirl
xx
Really teeny tiny potatoes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2020, 13:06
by Yorkie
xx
teeny carrot seedlings

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 15:00
by noshed
xx
Rhubarb; huge leaf, teeny stem!

Started by sophiejo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:45
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.716 seconds with 38 queries.