Any ripe tomatoes

• 28 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Any ripe tomatoes
« on: July 24, 2012, 22:58 »
My tommy plants are doing very well at the moment and have some nice large tomatoes on them and plenty of them as well. They are still very green at the moment and this is my first year with a greenhouse so not sure what to expect what with the rubbish weather this year that has slowed things down.

Has anyone got any ripe tomatoes yet?

I hear that hanging banana skins on the trusses can help set things off, I know how that works due to the gasses the skins give off but has anyone tried it and with what results.

Thanks.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Lardman

Re: Any ripe tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 23:01 »
I picked 1 sungold today, It's been on the plant so long the skin was very thick.   :mad:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 23:03 »
I've had a single ripe Gartenperle, but like yours it had been on the plant too long so it was yucky. Now the sun has started shining, and after a BFB feed for all the yellowing leaves, the plants have suddenly perked up and put off gazillions of flowers so hopefully they'll be burying me in tomatoes soon.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 23:07 »
picked just over 1kg of ferline and have skinned and frozen 8 marmandes. Others coming along - blight-willing!! And will freeze about half to use in soups, stews and the like later in the year and early next year

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:14 »
my cherry tomatoes just started to ripen. (sweet 100). I ate 2 and around 8 more of them are now turning colour.

They are in a semi protected environment and in pots (most in too small pots even). They vary in height from 1.5m to 2m.

Of the other varieties only stupice is showing one tomato turning colour, and ironically it is the one outside exposed to the elements on my allotment.

These weeks are supposed to be the hottest in Finland, but instead the sun has abandoned us and temperatures don't go above 20C. Not really ideal weather for a final growh/ripening spurt for most of my plants.

Still I can't complain, growing tomatoes without a greenhouse was an experiment here. I have seen so many people fail here (short summers, no possibility for a warm autumn) and I already got to eat some tomatoes.

I have 12 tomato plants in a semi-protected environment in my garden (on my terras, under a transparent roof). And over 20 on my allotment. I'm sure I am going to get something decent out of it.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 07:12 »
No.  Out of 15 plants I have 1 unripe tomato on my Golden Sunrise plant, but it has been there forever.  Now flowers on 12 of the remaining 14. 

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 08:13 »
I have lots o flowers but not one tomato :( forming!

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:34 »
Lots of flowers and quite a few are fruiting but nothing rip yet...cant wait to pick a few for nibbling as we work :)
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:01 »
No ripe ones although yet again the Red Alert bushes are way in front of the cordon varieties in the greenhouse both in number and development of fruits.

Trouble is, the RA are in an open cold frame which doesn't provide much protection from the "B" word, and it's extremely hot and humid today..................
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:03 »
I've eaten quite a lot of the Gartenperle, sowed in the Early Tomato Expriment thread, so will be dong that again next year  :D

From the normal time sown varieties, I've had a couple of Black Cherry toms and that's it  :(
The plants are setting well, just not ripening yet...........................

Every year we moan about them not ripening quickly enough :lol: You'd think we'd be used to our summers by know :nowink: Patience is a virtue n all that!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:33 »
I've had a few sungold!  Considering I've got 8 plants which are quite mature I'd have expected more, but wasn't picking till nearly the end of August last year so it's an improvement on that :)

What's more they are yummy!

Hannah :)

mickbrov

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 21:45 »
as you know by now that i am a noob at growing things ,i will be glad to tell you.that i have 2 gardners delight ,plants with a few toms on about the size of maltesers, and my tigger melon plants are looking strong . but maybe too late for them.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 21:46 »
Nope!

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 23:33 »
No...and I won't get any. Binned 70 flowering plants today after a haircut didn't stop the blight spreading. :( :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38 »
Sungold and Golden Sunrise, including one Sungold outside  :D

Fingers crossed against blight attack as I type
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Ripe Tomatoes

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 21:22
by Goneterseed
xx
How to know when blueberries are ripe?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 18:58
by SG6
xx
When is a pumpkin ripe?

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 21:31
by mumofstig
xx
ripe chilli

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 18:28
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 29 queries.