Anyone tried drying courgettes or mangetout?

• 1 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Anyone tried drying courgettes or mangetout?
« on: July 22, 2012, 13:43 »
If so, how well does it work, and how useful is the end product? Can it only be used in ratatouille and stews and things, or could it be rehydrated into something good enough to grill or saute? And did you blanche it first or not?

Now that I've got a dehydrator, I do want to use this for preserving more crops this year. I'm hoping I'll get enough of my Principe Borghese toms to do a good stock of sun-dried toms and I want to use it for herbs and garlic too - though this year it's been impossible to achieve a perfect picking day for herbs, i.e. dry. But I would like to put by a good stash of dried thyme, oregano and sage. In a normal year I'd try it for my apples too, but I don't seem to have any crop of them at all this year. I'm not sure about green veg, whether I'd find much use for it dried, though courgette is always worth saving for making pasta sauces and bit batches of ratatouille.

PS What's mange tout like dried? That's another thing that arrives all at once and is horrible frozen.

Edit title to clarify topic
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 14:33 by argyllie »

Trillium

Re: Anyone tried drying courgettes or mangetout?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 18:53 »
I don't do courgettes myself but this is a good video HERE on how to do it. You can do both summer squash and courgettes (aka zucchini here). Since they must be sliced thin to dry properly, I doubt they'd hold up on a BBQ but should be okay for a pan saute.

No, you don't blanch squash before drying. It's mostly the brassicas that first need a quick blanch before drying.

I think if you check youtube, you'll find some mangetout, but commonly called snap peas over here.

One item I'll be drying a lot of this year is tomatoes that I'll then run through my blender to make tomato powder. It can take the place of tomato paste, or simply add some intense tomato flavour to any dish.

xx
Drying courgettes - urgent question

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 17:54
by New shoot
xx
Anyone tried dehydrating mangetout?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 07:56
by New shoot
xx
mangetout in stirfry

Started by prakash_mib on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 13:45
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Drying in the attic

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 14:36
by catllar

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 36 queries.