jeyes fluid

• 21 Replies

m1ckz

jeyes fluid
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:54 »
my .neighbour on our allotment is giving me part of his plot he said he will give it a dose of jeyes befor he hands it over,is this good for getting rid of bugs ,

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: jeyes fluid
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41 »
Jeyes used to be used as a soil disinfectant, but it is no longer licenced for use that way.  I don't think it is necessary either, so I would say 'thanks, but there is no need'  ;)  

Your site rules may not allow sub-letting, although in reality people working parts of their neighbour's plots on an informal basis is quite common.  Just one to bear in mind as if anyone does complain, the council may take a dim view.  On our site they have a massive waiting list so really prefer anyone who is struggling to hand part back, so they can make smaller plots for newbies  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04 »
I'd say no thanks as well! Jeyes kills all the good things in the soil as well as a few you don't want.
Do you really want lifeless soil  :nowink:

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56 »
You could always ask to leave you the Jeyes Fluid to do it yourself, then use it for cleaning your seed trays etc
Paul

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 13:32 »
I'm pretty sure it is carcinogenic  :ohmy:

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 13:58 »
Pongs too!

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 14:58 »
my .neighbour on our allotment is giving me part of his plot he said he will give it a dose of jeyes befor he hands it over,is this good for getting rid of bugs ,

The question that you should ask is why is he being generous and steralising the soil? I would suspect that the plot has galloping onion white rot or brassica club root or both!

If that is the case they can easily spread to your plot. Soil on boots and tools, transplanted seedlings etc.

m1ckz

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 15:14 »
the reason ,,,he had wireworm in his potato,,,thanx ill tell him not to bother,,dig in some good manure may help it

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 16:09 »
Pongs too!

I LOVE the smell of jeyes!!!!    ;)

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 16:28 »
I don't think this true because it is still available for cleaning glass in green house etc.
A lot of things can no longer be used because the EU brought in rules about conducting test before they can be sold for certain uses.
The tests can be expensive so a lot of manufactures stop selling products if there wasn't a big market for it.

Kirpi

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 21:19 »
Far better than Jeyes fluid, while the weather is still mild, sow mustard as a green manure.

Mustard is known to harden the cysts (eggs) of wireworm so they don't hatch. Grow it to a foot high then hoe it off. The plants give off a chemical - as do all brassicas - which do the job naturally.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 00:20 »
Far better than Jeyes fluid, while the weather is still mild, sow mustard as a green manure.

Mustard is known to harden the cysts (eggs) of wireworm so they don't hatch. Grow it to a foot high then hoe it off. The plants give off a chemical - as do all brassicas - which do the job naturally.

You are confusing wireworm with eelworm.

Wireworms are the lavae of the click beetle which make holes in potatoes and other roots.

Potato cyst eelworm is a microscopic nematode that attacks potato roots and forms cysts on the roots which contain hundreds of eggs.

It is the latter that can be tempted to hatch by planting mustard. They cannot live on mustard so die without reproducing.

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 00:23 »
sorry - yes you're right; eel worm. Adults die off as they have nothing to live on and cysts harden so they don't hatch.

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 00:25 »
I don't think this true because it is still available for cleaning glass in green house etc.
A lot of things can no longer be used because the EU brought in rules about conducting test before they can be sold for certain uses.
The tests can be expensive so a lot of manufactures stop selling products if there wasn't a big market for it.

Jeyes altered it some years ago. I think they removed things like phenols which are nasty and certainly carcinogenic.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 05:50 »
In Homebase, they stack Jeyes Fluid on the same shelves as all the other similar stuff for cleaning, sterilising etc!

xx
jeyes fluid

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 14:44
by sunshineband
xx
Jeyes Fluid

Started by steved on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 13:19
by Trikidiki
xx
Jeyes Fluid

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post September 02, 2016, 15:48
by Aled
xx
Jeyes fluid

Started by Dean H on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 09:23
by stompy

Page created in 1.921 seconds with 32 queries.