Is this potato blight ?

• 32 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this potato blight ?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 09:20 »
If you look at the list of nasties in soot, you'd see that you are using bad chemicals anyway  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 09:20 »
Fresh soot contains lots of chemicals, the exact nature of which depends on where the soot came from - its effectiveness as a fungicide is due to its overall toxicity, and if it was weathered first there will be only nearly pure carbon particles left which will do nothing to control blight.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

hubballi

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 10:00 »
Harry Dodson used it in the "Victorian Garden". Also, Ruth Goodman used it on roses. It is well known that it has a beneficial effect on the garden. It also stops slugs.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 10:23 »
I know that historically it was put on the earth to stop slugs and sprinkled on roses to stop black spot. So were a lot of things that are no longer used, such as nicotine :ohmy:

I wouldn't want to put it on something I was going to eat, though.
They didn't know in the old days that it contains carcinogens  ;)

hubballi

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 10:30 »
It didn't do kids any harm going up chimney's  8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 10:35 »
It didn't do kids any harm going up chimney's  8)
didn't it?
Wiki:  As the soot was a carcinogen, and as the boys slept under the soot sacks and were rarely washed, they were prone to Chimney Sweeps Cancer. From 1775 onwards there was increasing concern for the welfare of the boys, and Acts of Parliament were passed to restrict, and in 1875 to stop this usage.

It's of course up to you what you use, all I wanted to point out was that soot is a chemical as well  :dry:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 11:43 »
Hubballi, no matter what anyone ever says or advises, you do exactly what you want to do anyway so why bother to ask?  Everything you grow apparently withers and dies and it's never your fault, so I think it's time to get a new hobby. :closedeyes:
Cheese makes everything better.

hubballi

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 19:06 »
There we go again. Someone trying to put me off  :nowink:

I have sprayed the potatoes and toms with tea tree oil  :) Less harmful (and costly) than Bordeaux

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 20:00 »
Also illegal as it's not licensed for that purpose hubballi.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hubballi

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 10:23 »
I have read here in the past that allotments like to take delivery of free soot from chimney sweeps. Illegal ? I don't understand what you are referring to. Soot or tea tree oil.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 19:49 »
Tea tree oil.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 21:36 »
Buying Bordeaux mixture won't be worth the money when you consider the cost of compost, bag and seed potatoes. It would be cheaper just to buy them from the supermarket.
I wish you luck hubballi - have you had success with either soot or teatree oil before? 

To be honest, the reasons you quoted above are the very same reasons I chose to spray Bayers F&V (dont have the bordeaux mix) as quoted earlier - at under£7 for 6 sachets, expensive yes, but 2 sachets have covered my entire crop, with the tomatoes still to be done.  Spending this to give my main investment a chance over the next 6 weeks seems the sensible choice for me  :D. Check out last Thursday's Beechgrove garden - they advise the same as everyone here - but, its your choice at the end of the day, so hope you've researched your choice well  :)

hubballi

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49 »
Tea tree oil.

I read somewhere else here regarding tomato blight that it helps keep it at bay. I have never heard of an essential oil being illegal  :lol: Especially when you can freely buy it !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 09:12 »
Hubbali, when will you get your head around the law  :nowink:

It is illegal to spray anything on plants as a fungicide/pesticide that isn't licensed.
The site can't be seen to recommend anything that isn't licensed so you will get these reminders everytime you post about using one. It's up to you if you use them, but it would be better if you didn't post about them on the Forum.

The site policy on this is here
Members sometimes discuss making their own pesticides or uses for commercial products beyond those they are licensed for. Whilst not wishing to stifle free speech, this site does not suggest or condone the illegal use of pesticides and would suggest members consider this article:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/home-made-pesticides

hubballi

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 09:43 »
Ok, I understand where you are coming from regarding chemicals like soot but Tee Tree Oil ? I can't see that being harmful but I will abide by the rules nevertheless.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Help - potato blight

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 19:33
by GardenShed
clip
potato blight

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 01:17
by Anton
xx
Potato Blight Q

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 22:51
by gobs

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 39 queries.